Do you remember Gwen’s brass-framed shower?
The solution for camouflaging the brass frame on her shower was pretty simple. It just needed a pretty shower curtain (that can actually be closed all the way)!
The solution for John & Alice’s shower is not quite so easy because of the configuration of the shower.
I could put a shower curtain on the front, which I do plan on doing, but that won’t take care of the side glass panel!
So I’ve been mulling over different ideas. I considered doing a piece of artwork that would cover the exact size, but then anyone standing in the shower would be looking at the back of a canvas. That’s not attractive at all! Another issue was that I didn’t want to do something that would block out the light completely.
Then a couple of nights ago, as I was about to go to sleep, the thought hit me…
So yesterday, I hopped in my car and drove to ReStore to check out what they had. It turns out that they had just what I needed. I returned to J & A’s house with these…
I got a pair of arched-top shutters, and one square-top shutter, for a total of $15. Not bad! Gotta love ReStore!! The plan was to connect all three to create a screen. I didn’t necessarily want the screen to be a feature in the room, but wanted it more to be used more as a “backdrop” for another item that I’m going to make…that will finally make use of all of those little wood pieces I cut!! Yay!!
The first step in making my screen was to cut the middle shutter to the same length as the other two.
I just used my miter saw for this. I knew that if I cut through the side frame pieces, the extra slats would fall right out. So just two simple cuts, a couple of slats removed, and it was the right length.
Then I attached the shutters using a bead of wood glue, and then a few finishing nails from my nail gun (shot at an angle). It really couldn’t get much easier than this.
I still need to finish out the bottom, but I went ahead and gave the screen a coat of primer.
I decided to paint it Oregano (Rustoleum Painter’s Touch), but only had about a third of one can. It was close to the end of my work day, so I decided to hold off until today to finish it up.
I plan on distressing and antiquing it some, and then once it’s in place, I’ll attach a decorative item to the front of it. So, you’ll have to stay tuned for the finished product!! With my record of Plan B’s lately, I’m really hoping that this Plan A turns out!!!