Last Updated on October 6, 2012 by Kristi Linauer
Post Pages: 1 2
I started out with these pretty glass bottles. Never mind the orange one in the back. That’s my DIY fail from yesterday.
I gave them an even coat of spray primer. I used Zinsser Cover Stain spray primer for these.
Next I gave each bottle two coats of paint. For the orange one, I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and for the other two, I used Martha Stewart craft paint. They both worked well on primed bottles.
After the bottles were dry, I gave them a very light sanding for an aged look. I can’t stress enough…very light sanding. I applied almost no pressure at all.
Now to get my speckled look, I used white spray paint. I held the spray paint about three feet from the glass bottle, and sprayed in short bursts towards the bottle. I pressed the spray button all the way down, so that I was getting full bursts of spray paint.
To get the small splatters, I held the spray paint again about three feet from the bottle, but this time rather than holding the spray button down completely, I pressed the button slowly just until I heard the air barely seeping out. That creates bigger dots of paint.
While my bottles were drying, I made three flowers out of polymer clay. I made them the same way I made the flowers for the polymer clay flower wall art, but this time I layered the three different sizes of flowers to create larger, fuller flowers.
After the flowers were baked and completely cooled, I gave each one of them a coat of slightly watered down paint, and then I used a wet finger to wipe the paint off of the edges of the petals. This gave a pretty watercolor effect.
Then I gave each of the flowers the same spray paint mist/splatter effect. *Be sure that the flowers are completely dry before attaching them!!! I was a bit too hasty, and the water ran down on the green flower and made the paint look splotchy. Just be patient and let them dry completely…maybe even overnight.
Then I attached the flowers with my trusty hot glue gun.
Post Pages: 1 2
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!