Our Awful End To 2022: COVID, Two Hospital Stays, and Near Death By Saline

Y’all! I can’t believe it’s been two weeks since I’ve been here, and it’s even harder for me to believe that we’ve already arrived at 2023. To say that these last two weeks didn’t go as planned would be the understatement of 2022.

It all started the Tuesday after I posted our final master bathroom before and after on Monday, December 19th. I had planned to spend Tuesday gathering all of the expenses and sources for our bathroom so that I could post that info for you on Wednesday. Then Friday, I planned to wrap up 2022 with my standard year-in-review post. And then I’d spend the next week relaxing, watching cheesy Christmas rom-com movies, eating, napping, and gearing up for the new year.

Well, obviously, that’s not what happened at all.

Things started to veer off course when I woke up on Tuesday the 20th with my head pounding, and my entire face, neck, and shoulders aching like I had been in a car accident. I didn’t think anything of it, really. I thought I had just slept wrong, so I took some Advil, waited a while for that to kick in and some of the pain to go away, and then tried to go about my day.

But things really took a turn when Matt started feeling unwell. When I get sick, that’s one thing. But when Matt (my husband who has M.S. and deals with overall muscle weakness and fatigue as a normal part of life) gets sick, that’s a whole different ball game. And as the day went on, he got worse and worse, until around 4:30pm, when he was so weak that he couldn’t lift his arms, couldn’t open his eyes, couldn’t keep his jaw closed, and therefore, couldn’t speak.

I ended up calling the ambulance to come get him and take him to the emergency room around 5:00pm on Tuesday, and they treated him in the emergency room until 2:00am. I stayed with him the whole time, while also starting to feel really sick myself — more aches and pains, chills, etc.

They finally admitted him at 2:00am, and after about 30 minutes of “lots of paperwork and questions” (as the nurse put it), I was finally able to go home, take care of our dog Cooper, grab a blanket and pillow, take a ton of supplements, vitamins, and Tylenol, and head back to the hospital. I returned about 3:30am, and was able to sleep until about 7:00am when the doctor came in. By that time, I was feeling fine, with the exception of a stuffy nose and a minor dry cough.

They had run all kinds of tests on Matt, but couldn’t find what was causing him to be so weak. He had scary high blood pressure, but Matt’s blood pressure skyrockets as a result of sickness, not as a cause of it. But still, all tests came back negative. No COVID. No UTI. No nothing. They said that he had just gotten really dehydrated, so after a few more hours, and Matt seemingly doing much better, they discharged him and we went home.

After we got home on Wednesday evening, Matt seemed to be pretty okay. But on Wednesday night before we went to bed, he was scared and did not want to go to sleep. He said he was scared of getting sick and having to go back to the hospital. I thought he was just overly tired (hospitals aren’t great places to get rest, after all), and needed sleep. So after sitting by his bedside, praying with him, trying to be encouraging and calming, until about 2:00am, he finally decided he was ready to try to sleep.

Thursday morning, we both woke up early, and things seemed normal. But once again, as they day went on, Matt got really weak. Then he got better. Then he got weak again.

This roller coaster went on for the next three days, and by Saturday afternoon, he was almost back to the point where he was on Tuesday when I called the ambulance the first time. He was still saying that he didn’t want to go back to the hospital, so knowing how much IV saline helps him when he gets like that, I decided to call and make an appointment with a local mobile IV therapy place.

The nurse got here at 4:30pm (within 90 minutes — impressive for Christmas Eve!), but when she took Matt’s blood pressure, it was too high for her to give him an IV. (They have certain parameters for blood pressure numbers that have to be met before they can give an IV.) Matt was feeling even worse by that time, so he was incredibly disappointed that he wasn’t going to be able to get the IV saline.

By 6:00pm, he was right back to where he was on Tuesday, so I called the ambulance again. And once again, they came and got him, and took him to the hospital. We were in the ER room for several hours while they were giving him IV saline and trying to bring his heart rate and blood pressure down, while also running other tests.

Just before 11:00pm, the doctor came in and said that Matt had tested positive for COVID, so that’s probably what was causing all of the weakness and brain fog. They were going to admit him, but they needed to get his blood pressure to a certain point before they could do that.

So they gave him a different blood pressure medication, and almost immediately, he had a reaction to it. His face and arms got beet red, his blood pressure and heart rate increased to scary levels, and his skin felt fiery hot. I sat there watching, feeling completely helpless and freaked out, while watching him have this scary reaction to medication, and while the nurses seemed completely unfazed by it at all. Matt was scared and miserable.

They finally admitted him, made a note of the allergic reaction to that medication in his records, and gave him more saline. It took about an hour for the reaction to that medication to wear off. After that, Matt seemed to settle down a bit and start feeling better. I stayed in his room the whole time, and by the time we went to sleep, he was feeling much better.

When we woke up on Sunday morning, Matt seemed fine. The doctor came in and told us about his treatment plan. He was going to switch Matt from normal saline to something called lactated ringers. He was going to continue the blood pressure meds (not the one he had the reaction to, obviously). He was going to start him on a course of steroids to help him breathe better. He was going to give him Tylenol for his slight fever. It all seemed pretty standard, and all day Sunday, Matt seemed like he was almost back to his normal self. He ate every bite of food that they brought him, and while he was still feeling a bit weak (meaning that I had to feed him and help him drink water), he was talking, laughing, joking around, etc.

I figured he was out of the woods, and was in good hands, so since it was Christmas Day, I felt comfortable leaving for a couple of hours to have Christmas brunch with my family. When I got back, Matt was still feeling good. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. He ate every bite of every meal they brought him. We both napped a bit. After dinner, I got us a snack out of the vending machine, and we watched Frasier until we went to sleep that night. I figured he was doing so well that they’d probably send him home the next day.

Then on Monday morning, everything changed. I woke up to the nurse coming in to check Matt’s vitals. I heard her asking him questions, but he wasn’t responding. That seemed strange to me, so I sat up and looked at him, and he was almost completely out of it. I mean, in a near catatonic state. He couldn’t move, couldn’t keep his eyes open, couldn’t keep his jaw shut, couldn’t move his tongue at all (and therefore, couldn’t speak at all), was having labored breathing on the exhale. His face and whole head were beet red and fiery hot to the touch.

I was freaking out. How could he have gone to bed the night before feeling just fine, only to wake up feeling and looking like this???

My mind immediately went to the reaction he had to the blood pressure medication. I knew this wasn’t COVID. This was a reaction to something they had given him.

But when the doctor came in, he brushed it off completely. He wrote the whole thing off to “this is just what happens with COVID.” That was completely unsatisfactory to me. I knew it was a reaction to something, and I was so furious that no one seemed the least bit fazed by his sudden overnight change.

I asked the nurse about all of his medications, and she went over everything they had given him. I told her to stop the blood pressure medication and see if that would make a change once it worked its way out of his system. After a few hours, nothing had changed. He was still the same near-catatonic state.

Matt kept trying to speak to me throughout the day, but because he couldn’t move his jaw or move his tongue, I couldn’t understand anything he was trying to say. On three occasions throughout the day, I did manage to make out what he was saying. And each time, he said, “Will I die?” Talk about ripping my heart out! Because quite honestly, I didn’t know.

He stayed in that near-catatonic state all day long, with me quizzing the nurse about this medication and that medication. Around 5:00pm, I found that they had put a medication patch on his arm. I called the nurse and asked about that. It was another blood pressure medication, so I ripped that off and told her no more blood pressure medication!!!!

No matter what I did, I couldn’t seem to get them to understand that what they were seeing in him — this sudden change overnight — was a reaction to something, and they needed to get to the bottom of it. But no matter what I did or said, they all seemed completely unfazed by his condition and his sudden change.

This went on all day and throughout the evening, as I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck had gone wrong, and what he was reacting to. By that point on Monday evening (after I ripped the medication patch off of his arm), I had made them stop all medications, and the only thing left was the saline.

That’s when it dawned on me that the doctor had told us he was switching Matt from regular saline (which Matt always responds well to) to something called lactated ringers. Matt had never had lactated ringers before. And as I was sitting by his bedside, praying and hoping that I could figure out the problem, that’s when it finally dawned on me that not only was his whole head beet red and fiery hot to the touch, but so was his left arm. His entire left arm…where the IV was going into his arm!!

I called the nurse on duty and had him turn off the IV immediately, and then asked him to give Matt some regular saline. He turned it off at 10:45pm, and then came back 30 minutes later with regular saline.

Within 30 minutes of starting the regular saline, the redness in Matt’s face and arm started to go away, and the temperature of his skin began to return to normal. Within an hour of getting normal saline, Matt was speaking in full sentences that I could actually understand him (for the first time that entire day).

And by 1:00am, he was laughing and joking around with me. And he also cried. He cried a lot, as he told me that he was sure he was going to die that day. He knew he was having a reaction to something, but he couldn’t speak and couldn’t communicate at all, so he was convinced that it was going to kill him.

After we both cried and rejoiced in the fact that we figured out the problem, we were both exhausted and ready to get some sleep. On Tuesday morning, Matt was perfectly fine (other than his blood oxygen being a tad bit low and needing supplemental oxygen for a couple of days as his body recovered and got stronger), and he was perfectly fine the rest of his hospital stay.

Matt was finally discharged on Thursday, and ever since then, we have been relaxing and trying to recuperate from the whole hellish ordeal of these last two weeks.

Matt has still had some residual weakness, but each day, he gets a little stronger. He’ll get there. Every day is a little bit better than the previous one.

So suffice it to say that the end of the year didn’t quite go as we had planned. And I feel so NOT ready for 2023. I don’t feel relaxed. I don’t feel ready. I don’t feel excited and ready to get things started.

I feel exhausted, and I want to hibernate for a week. I feel emotionally and mentally drained. This isn’t quite how I wanted to start the new year. But I am thankful. I’m so thankful that Matt is doing better now, and he’s almost back to his normal self. I’m thankful that we figured out what was causing the problem at the hospital. (The nurse literally told me that if I hadn’t been there, and if I hadn’t figured it out, Matt would probably still be in that same catatonic state, and they would have just thought it was a really bad case of COVID.) I’m thankful that we’re back at home where we can rest from our two-week ordeal.

But I might need another week before I can feel excited about 2023 and jumping back into home-related projects. 🙂 I’m not quite there yet.



Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


  1. Oh Kristi

    I am so sorry and truly hope you guys feel better. What a scary thing to go through. I understand what you went through because we have had this sort of thing happen to my husband and me. I nearly went into anaphylaxis and no one would listen. Hope you have a healthy and great new year.

    1. How utterly horrible for you both. I’m so happy things are heading back to normal for you both. Thank the Lord

  2. Oh my goodness Kristi! I am so sorry to hear of this horrendous ordeal!! Hospitals are very scary these days…everything seems to be chalked up to Covid and so they give up! Thank God you were there to advocate for Matt. My prayers for you both…for us all…for a better 2023!

    1. I lost my 67 year old favorite Brother in Law 11/10. He was the picture of health normally, 50 pushups; 100 situps; slender, ex Marine. He probably died of Pneumonia; but it was overlooked, until they decided he needed heart surgery (blockage) but too weak to endure it. My sister is still too traumatized to realize the Hospital failure….they kept looking for Covid.

    1. Kristi, I’m so relieved he’s home and recovering; you 2 busy people must take a month or 2 off and recover. God was with you both and only He knows why these things happen. God Bless you and your loving Husband.

  3. Time for some self-care for Kristi! Take some time off and just relax. Read a good book. Do something fun for you. Nothing with the house is going anywhere. You’ve been through a mentally and physically challenging time the past several weeks. Put yourself on vacation and maybe do a few fun things with Matt. The house and your blog are not as important as your health and Matt’s well-being. Not to mention that you are recovering from whatever you had.

    1. I agree, take the time to just be. So grateful you were able to take the initiative and be there in the moment. Just enjoy that you and Matt are able to be at home.

  4. Oh my gosh that sounds like a nightmare! I’m so glad you were able to figure out what was going on but it does make you wonder about the intelligence of the medical staff. Yikes!

    1. The doctor really made me angry. After I figured out that it was the lactated ringers causing the problem, I started keeping very detailed notes in my phone. I wrote down the time of any change we made (like the time that the nurse took him off the lactated ringers, the time the nurse started the normal saline IV, the time that the redness started going away, the time that the temp of Matt’s skin started to change, the time that Matt started speaking again, etc.). I mean, I had VERY detailed notes, and there could be absolutely no doubt that the lactated ringers caused the problem, and that stopping those and starting normal saline made all the change in the world.

      The doctor wouldn’t believe me. He chalked it all up to COVID, and said that the change was that Matt’s COVID fever finally broke. I honestly could have punched him in the face. He said, “In all of my years of being a doctor, I’ve never seen anyone react to lactated ringers, so I highly doubt that’s what caused the problem. People don’t react to that. This was COVID, and thank goodness his COVID fever finally broke!”

      I couldn’t believe it. I was furious, and wanted a new doctor so badly.

      The next day, we did get a new doctor, and I told him the whole ordeal and read him my detailed notes. This new doctor had been an M.D. for decades (whereas the previous one who doubted my conclusion has been an MD for something like six years), and I asked the new doctor, “What does that sound like to you?” He said, “It definitely sounds like a reaction to lactated ringers. I’ve never seen that before, but that’s exactly what it sounds like based on how he responded when it was stopped and switched to saline.”

      1. You should report this so it can be reviewed at the hospital. Contact the hospital’s patient relations department and ask them how best to do it. Let them know you took detailed notes. If you have names of nurses or techs who can corroborate your observations and your requests for action, let them know that, too.

        A good hospital will take this seriously.

      2. I’m so sorry you and Matt had to go through all of that, I was at the ER with my hubby the day after Christmas and we were in the ER waiting room for 17 hours before he got a bed in the ER, total of 28 hours in the ER waiting for a bed to open up in the hospital. We were told he was being admitted 4 hours in. They were doing labs and other tests during this horrible wait but didn’t start any treatment until he go into his reg room.
        As for horrible doctors we have had our share and I found out that you can fire hospital doctors and request a different one. I’ve done that twice when I felt they weren’t doing their jobs. One was a young hospital Dr that tried to say my hubby was addicted to pain meds and that’s why he was shivering. Turned out my hubby was septic and running a fever of 104, we ended up in the ICU. Other time it was the kidney specialist that was refusing to sign off for a heart cath. The specialist even came into my hubby’s room to confront us for firing him, horribly unprofessional, our 17 year old son witnessed the incident and said the Dr acted like a baby that didn’t get his way.
        I normally hate confrontations but advocating for my hubby when he’s sick I’m a bear. Great job advocating for Matt!
        Take a break and focus on rest and being with Matt. Prayers for both of you

  5. My heart is both breaking and rejoicing for you both! So thankful you were there to be Matt’s mouthpiece! So thankful that you are always with him to stand strong for him! You take all the time you need to recover. We’re not going anywhere! Prayers for peace and rest for you both!

  6. Oh my what a dreadful thing to happen. Take all the time you need to rest, recuperate and regain your equilibrium. We we will all be here for you. Love

  7. Oh my dear Lord!!!! Take the time… all you need!!!! Get the rest needed. And always feel free to shoot out a quick “Matt is not doing well (or you are not… or both) — for my readers who pray, please toss up a few for us!!!” It’s how we help “bear one another’s burdens.”

      1. Praying for you and Matt. The Lord gave you strength to help you be there for Matt and now He’s letting you know you’ve “hit the wall” and you need to take care of yourself. That comes first and the enthusiasm for your house will follow. ❤️🙏🏼❤️

  8. Kristi, well done as an advocate for Matt! That demonstrates how important it is to have someone with you during hospital stays……someone who is focused only on the one patient. Prayers for continued healing and quiet time to enjoy each other’s company.
    Projects will wait and there will be a time when that is right to proceed.

  9. Thank goodness you were there to advocate for Matt!! Take care of yourself and Matt and try not to worry about anything else that “needs” to be done. We’re all here praying for you and Matt, and look forward to hearing from you again whenever your ready. God Bless you both ❤️

  10. Oh wow, I am so sorry for all the ordeals of your last two weeks! You really do have to advocate for yourself because a doctor really only sees snipits of what it going on and I’m glad you figured it out. Whew. Happy New Year 🥴

  11. Kristi,

    It’s hard to know how to respond after reading this saga–yet another horrifying example of hospital “care” gone wrong–except to say: Thank goodness for your persistence and clear thinking that led to the answer for what was causing Matt’s condition to deteriorate. I wish both of you peace and the time to rest and recuperate from this whole terrible ordeal. It’s wonderful to hear that, after all that he’s been through, Matt is moving toward being back to his pre-hospital insanity best.


  12. Kristi, I am so glad that your hospital situation turned out positively for you and Matt. Bless you, for your strength, love, and assertiveness and for sharing your story. Take care.

  13. Praise the Lord He gave you the clarity and persistence to advocate for Matt. I’ve lost so much faith in our medical community these past 3 years. I’m so thankful he’s recovering!

  14. Yikes! Glad you and Matt got through this ordeal and can take some time to relax. FWIW I googled “allergic reaction to lactic ringers” and found a trove of warnings describing a range of bad outcomes that exactly like what your husband experienced. Your intuition was spot on.

  15. It is SO infuriating to be dissed by MDs. So helpless. SO glad you were there and alert and analytical and carefully documenting. It is so important for family members to be present and involved! An important lesson for all of us. Please take time to regroup — though that might mean creating something as much as it means resting!

  16. Kristi,, How scary and stressful for you and Matt. I am so glad you were there by his side to advocate for him. While I am glad that it worked out, I would encourage you to find a trained healthcare provider who can assist you in the next emergency in case another complication happens and the attending/ clinical staff are less than helpful.

    1. He was admitted as a patient when this happened. Kristi did exactly what an advocate would do. She took copious notes for a different Dr. Not sure how much more of a “trained healthcare provider” (6yrs as an MD) would have been without a different Dr. talking to her and reaching the same conclusion she did.

  17. I can’t even imagine what you and Matt went through, and just so grateful for your never-ending advocacy for Matt. there are 365 days in 2023, you can “start” it whenever you darn please! Hoping for healthier and happier days for both of you.

  18. Dear Kristy,
    I can’t imagine what you were going through, watching Matt not get better. But God listened to your prayers and pleas, and gave you the answers you needed to get Matt back on track. May 2023 bring you unexpected joy, and time to spend with loved ones. God bless!

  19. Wow. It is so scary that it is up to us to get to the bottom of things. Nothing against the doctors and nurses. They are overwhelmed, but we as patients and loved ones have to stay on top of things. God certainly answered your prayers. I think you need a week off – if not more. Reading this stressed me, and I didn’t walk through it. Rest. Recover, Reflect and praise God.

  20. Kristi,, How scary and stressful for you and Matt. I am so glad you were there by his side to advocate for him. Every hospital should have a Patient Advocacy Program that you can ask to mediate between you and the team. While clinical staff can be rushed or dismissive, they WILL listen to the Advocate, because it goes on their record. Also, I would encourage you to reach out to your trusted healthcare provider from the hospital, and have him/her assist you by communicating with the hospital team- call them at night, on the weekends, ask them to call you back and help you in case another complication happens and the attending/ clinical staff are less than helpful.

    1. addendum- what I meant to say was reach out to your trusted local GP or family practitioner while you are at the hospital and ask him or her to help you advocate for the patient. Matt’s long-term doctors will be able to communicate with the ER staff and give them more context and history to Matt’s care, which is something everyone should want.

  21. I am so sorry you and Matt had to go through the that horrible ordeal. Did you have Covid too?
    Thank goodness we have the internet now so we are able to research medical issues and advocate for ourselves and our loved ones. I hope you are able to take the time you need to relax and feel ready to get back at the renos. Just a couple of weeks later than you had planned. Best wishes for a wonderful 2023 to you and your family.

    1. I suspect that I did have COVID, and I’m the one who shared it with Matt. 🙂 That’s what happened when Matt was hospitalized in 2021 with influenza A. I got it first, recovered quickly, but not before giving it to Matt. And with him, it’s never the real symptoms of the virus (congestion, fever, breathing issues, etc.) that gets him. It’s the severe weakness and fatigue that any sickness causes him that sends him to the hospital.

  22. Oh my gosh. When you hadn’t posted any more in 2022, I just thought you were done for the year and would start off 2023 with the usual “what I did/what I plan to do” run down, etc. NEVER would I have thought your 2022 would end so horribly. So glad to see you back in this space, but yes….take the week. Regroup. No need to push yourself.

  23. I’m so sorry this happened to both of you! It was good that you were in the hospital to be an advocate for Matt. The medical community is good, but they don’t know Matt!

    I think you deserve to take off the next two or three weeks to rest, relax and recharge! Watch movies, eat some sinfully good food and veg out. Take care!

  24. I am so thankful you were there as well. Its hard not to question the doctors but it is necessary! Ya’ll need a deserved break!

  25. Dear Kristi, what a terrible and yet miraculous end to 2022. Thank God that you were there and had your thinking cap on. Praying for you both and wishing you all the best in 2024.

  26. Dear Kristi, I hope you both get really well again soon! What a horrible thing to have to live through – I have a good idea what you experienced after battling with doctors about my mum’s deteriorating health for nearly a year now. It is great that you kept your head and stuck to your observations – doctors are only human, but often behave as if they have special powers; and we should not be too intimidated by them. Take all the time to recuperate and relax and only start posting and working when boredom sets in. All the best to both you and Matt from over here in Germany!

  27. Saying a prayer for a full recovery! So sorry to hear that horrible medical malpractice! Best to you and Matt, Kristi in 2023. May nothing like this ever happen again.

  28. Everyone needs a medical advocate and you were perfectly that for Matt. I’m hoping you can both get the rest needed so you can heal quickly.

  29. Maybe you can hit the re-start button on 2023! Matt is so blessed to have you as his steadfast advocate and you are blessed too, to have him home.

  30. Kristi!
    Girl, you need to take time for yourself to recover from that ordeal!! That was so scary!!!! Take all the time you need!! We will still be here!!

  31. So sorry you both had to go through that nightmare. I think anyone that goes to the hospital needs an advocate. I took my husband to the hospital and after waiting several hours in ER they said they were going to admit him. I went home to take care of the dog and called back to see what room they put him in before I returned to the hospital. The nurse told me I don’t think he is out of surgery yet. I about died! No notification at all. So my moto continues to be to try and stay healthy as possible and stay clear of the hospital if possible. Obviously, sometimes it is impossible.

    So glad Matt is almost back up to par and you both can rest up a little.

  32. Dear Kristi! What an awful ordeal you and Matt have been through. You didn’t say whether you ever tested for Covid yourself, but it sounds like you may have had a bout with it, too, but had to focus all your attention on Matt just to keep him alive. As all the others have said, we will all still be here when you’ve had a chance to rest, rest, rest. Please take good care of yourself and Matt. Many loving prayers are coming your way…..

  33. Thank God that you stood vigil by his side and figured out what was hurting Matt!
    Hospitals and medical personnel have a great weakness in that they often mindlessly “follow protocols,” never seeking to think outside boxes they check that are what is easiest for *them,* not what’s best for the patient.

  34. Please listen to your body (and mind) and get some rest. I appreciate you posting this. Unfortunately, as well-meaning as hospitals, docs and even Veterinarians are, they don’t know our loved ones like we do. This was an important reminder to be assertive and stick to your gut. You did good.

  35. Kristi,
    I am so sorry to hear about what you and Matt had to go through, yet so glad you trusted your own instincts and stood your ground until you could determine the source of Matt’s reaction. Please take good care of both of you. Looking forward to seeing what you will do in 2023 once you are both back on your feet again!

  36. A nurse here, and I want to commend you on speaking up and refusing to back down! You and your husband know his body than anyone else ever will. Always trust your judgement and push back on any treatment you question. You did wonderfully and I agree, you probably saved his life. Many patients and family members blindly trust medical professionals or fear seeming difficult or sounding “stupid” by questioning treatment. That needs to change and you sharing this story may just give someone else the courage they need when they face a difficult situation like that. Medical professionals are still human, they are not immune from mistakes. Also, important to note that adding more medications is not always the answer. By removing and limiting, you can begin to pinpoint where the problem might be.

    1. Exactly! Those of us who have dealt with hospitals on a regular basis need to learn how to respectfully disagree when we know something is wrong. I might also add, you have the right to ask for a different Hospitalist (Dr) if you get into a situation like this.

      Good job Kristi!!

  37. Of course you aren’t! You deserve and should take as long as you need to recuperate. I was a “floor nurse” for just a short time before I switched to surgery but getting to the bottom of a patient’s problem/reaction/needs was always a challenge. And we rarely used saline for hydration almost always LR. At least till labs came back. And while you might think nurses seemed ‘unfazed’ or blasé I always tried to act professional at the bedside. I didn’t want to project OMG 😱 rather calm confidence even in the face of an emergent situation. And yes, I must confess, family members have pointed out things I missed. Glad you were Matt’s advocate and you had a good outcome. Medicine isn’t perfect, I’ve been a patient and had some issues with my hospital stay but by and large, docs, nurses, lab techs and all the rest do a great job.

  38. Oh goodness!

    Why don’t you both settle in with the previously planned movies, scheduled naps, lots of yummy fluids and snacks, etc. ? Your own mind is telling you to rest!

    You both need the healing and strengthening time and some silly fun. The gathering of bathroom sources and expenses is too much right now and can wait.
    We can all wait for you both to be fully healthy and relaxed, *however long that takes*.

    It took me a month plus to recover from Covid this summer; my asthmatic lungs were very tired. The sneaky brain fog was surprisingly real as well. Recovery took a good long while to fully strengthen and trust my body.

    I hope Matt’s reaction is in all bold letters at the top of every page of his medical records!
    The best Doctors learn from their patients. The first one didn’t, the second one is a keeper and hopefully will write this up as a paper for others to learn from.

    I am so glad you both survived all this!
    I have heard of others testing negative repeatedly before a positive test.
    Now, I bet a movie or nap is scheduled.

    1. Exactly what I wanted to say. Now that the scary part is over, just think of what the stress and medication reactions did to you both! Time to take the rest and extra naps, and do nothing like you had planned all along. You STILL need it! So sorry this all happened. We always say here EVERYONE needs someone with them in the hospital to advocate for them. They are just too busy – too many different patients etc. to keep it all straight. We had some of that same type of problems with medications that I am allergic to. My husband keeps after them about it, but it was missed on my chart several times already. PLEASE rest, and do no work for a while, and chill with sweet Matt until you are bored with movies! 🤣 THEN, we will all love to see what is on your list for 2023.

  39. Kristi – I am so sorry you and Matt went through this. You are such a great advocate for him, thank goodness! So many doctors are by the book, thankfully you new doc listened to you and that allergy will go into his records. Prayers that Matt continues to regain his strength, prayers you regain your strength and that both of you are able to rest and recharge. Take as much time as you need, there is a lot of time left in 2023, no hurry to post, get final costs, set goals for 2023 or start anything at all. There is a lot of love for you and Matt in our Addicted2Decorating community. Soak it in and rest, we aren’t going anywhere. Take care of yourselves.

  40. I’m glad you were there, and I’m sorry for all you had to go through. Praying that you and Matt will soon be strong, energetic, and able to enjoy all that 2023 brings.

  41. If you need a week or two to recuperate…we understand. You all been have through a scary ordeal. Thank God for giving you all wisdom to figure what was wrong. I wish you all the best.

  42. I am so happy you both are ok! I was thinking, what on earth do people do if nobody they know can watch over them in the hospital?! May God grant you both success this new year.

  43. What a horribly frightening experience for you and Matt!! So thankful that you figured it out and took action. Also thankful that Matt got a different doctor the next day who understood and took you more seriously!! Rest now for as long as needed.

  44. What a terrifying experience for both you and Matt! I hope you take all the time you need to recover physically and mentally. Please do not push yourself to work on projects or post about them on your blog. Your readers can wait.

  45. Oh, Kristi, I am so glad you were such a strong advocate for Matt and that you did not back down. All the more reason for all of us to take heed in being sure we have an active advocate with us during medical emergencies in particular.

    I read your account to my son and daughter-in-law during our lunch together here in Ecuador. Marlene had a similar experience when she still lived in the U.S. Her mother was in her late 80’s and the doctor whom they did not know, directed a certain test to be given in the hospital. He was quite insistent. It was a risky one and seemingly unnecessary at that point since she was so much improved, as her personal physician had reported. Anyway, both her mom and she refused to give consent. In the end, all was well.

    I am glad things are better now. By all means, rest and recuperate. Love to you and Matt.

  46. DonT Blame you! Rest up and give your husband our best wishes for a ful and quick recovery. May this never happen again!!!

  47. Oh my heavens! Y’all have been THROUGH it! I mean, we all need to be vigilant when it comes to our loved ones’ care in hospitals. The doctors that get assigned to you when admitted through the ER are not familiar with you at all, and it can sometimes be days before your own doctor gets involved, and they often defer to the “floor” doctors until you are released, unless your doctor does take over. Last time I was admitted, they switched up my meds and blood work showed me being diabetic (I was not) so they were giving me injections and restricted my diet. I couldn’t wait to get released! I spoke to my regular doctor the next day and he agreed we could go back to my old meds, and that I was not diabetic. Turned out I was having a pretty bad anxiety attack (thought I was having another heart attack) which got worse as I sat in the waiting area for 5 hours in the ER. (They had run an ekg almost right away, and it was fine, so I guess they were just trying to figure out what to do with me, but I didn’t know that!) Always use your instincts. You know your loved ones better than a stranger, even if they are trained!!! Thank goodness you both are better! We have been on the sick train since the Wednesday before Christmas also, but just with bad, bad colds. Finally starting to feel slightly better today!

  48. you must be your own best advocate. I had a brother-in-law who was quadriplegic since 17 (car accident) and my husband was his sole caregiver for 38 years. He passed away about 7 years ago but my husband saved his life more than once. Thank God you were there and insisted on what you did. Doctors can be very pigheaded and think they know best…..always remember their field is -practicing- they are just practicing medicine and their arrogance just blows me away. I’ve seen it more than once, and I know that I would never leave a loved one in the hospital alone, EVER again. Someone has to be with them, especially when they’re not well. You’re an amazing wife! No wonder he loves you so much!! Get some rest girlie!

  49. Holy Cow! I am so sorry that you and Matt went through such a horrible experience and so thankful that you figured out what was causing it. And all while you were feeling ill yourself. Take as much time as you need to recuperate and don’t overdo it. Hugs and blessings your way.

  50. OMG! How awful. So thankful you figured out what was wrong and made them listen. They don’t usually want to hear what you have to say.

  51. I know you’re probably not in the mood to think about this…but this deserves a lawsuit. Seriously, this is some malpractice here. If you don’t feel like going to the fuss of a lawsuit, you definitely need to contact the hospital HR/Patient Relations department and lodge a formal complaint about the incompetence of the medical staff, and the near-death of your husband. If they don’t address your issues, you could escalate to your local Department of Public Health, or even The Joint Commission (if that hospital is affiliated). If nothing else, at the very least, find any websites you can to review this Doctor on and share your experience. This Doctor needs to be held responsible for this lack of any sense.

    1. I so agree with this. I’m aware we need Drs but…we also have to question everything they do. I’ve been hard core advocate since my mom’s “adventures” with hospitals and Drs in the early 90’s. I question everything.. and I do mean every thing…down to each pill that’s given. In this day and age we have to because no one else is going to.

      1. Exactly. Besides, it shouldn’t be the patient’s job to catch obvious stuff, and Matt’s reaction was a very obvious allergic reaction, that anyone with any sense should have been able to see and recognize. I think lawsuits are in order.

  52. Asian New Year starts January 22, so ain for that LOL.
    Doesn’t matter when any of us starts, what matters is we do it becasue we WANT to, not becasue we feel like we have to according to some arbitrary time=keeping. Glad your hubs and you are OK. Rest now. Star when you are ready!

  53. Kristi and Matt,
    As I read your blog my heart was racing. Matt is so lucky to have you as his advocate. A similar situation happened with my daughter and her diabetes. Had I not been there advocating for her she could have ended up in a coma. I am so glad you were able to figure things out and Matt is on his way in recovery. As for not feeling the want to work on projects, they can wait. You need to take care of you emotionally, physically and mentally in order to continue taking care of Matt. So take the time to enjoy being together and heal together. Those projects will wait for when you’re ready.

  54. I’m so happy to hear that Matt is feeling better. I’m so grateful you shared this story too – we need to advocate for ourselves and if we can’t we need to make sure we have someone who can. Hope you both have a happy and healthy new year!

  55. I’m so happy Matt, and you, are doing better. What a scary Christmas. Though there are many very good doctors out there, sadly there are a lot of the arrogant ones as well. Thank goodness you were there and strong willed enough to continue to insist that something was wrong with the medication. I’m not just surprised that the younger doctor was unaware that Ringer’s lactate solution sometimes causing allergic reaction but that the nurses didn’t seem to either. If he should ever need something for fluid balance or replacement other than physiologic saline, you could ask for Ringer’s acetate and monitor for reaction.
    My very best wishes for the two of you in the new year.

  56. Wiping my eyes here over your and Matt’s ordeal. Life is fragile. I mean, a 2 second google search shows that “….This medicine may cause serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical…” The first doctor not being aware of this possibility is extremely unfortunate but to dig his heels in like he did is simply maddening and shows a real lack of good character. I’m so sorry!

  57. Hi Kristi….so sorry you and Matt went thru this horrific ordeal. So glad you were persistent advocating on his behalf. For not your continued efforts, it’s hard telling where is health would be now. I had emergency gallbladder surgery December 16 and had an allergic reaction to something. They are thinking it was the IV contrast. When I make and go to my follow up visit I’m am definitely going to ask if I was given any type of saline. While in recovery the nurse was needing to give me more oxygen instead of less, I was reaching, and should not have been as I had a nausea patch on, I guess I was sweating profusely, the bottom of my hands and feet were itching terribly, and then I guess I turned beat red. They said I was having an allergic reaction and was given and EPI shot in the leg
    Talk ALL the time you need. Make sure to take this time to get your mind and body ready for projects again. The date on the calendar does not dictate when you need to start. Prayers for a healthy 2023 for you and Matt

  58. When you feel up for it, contact the patient advocate. Malpractice! At a minimum, get it in Matt’s records to never have that doctor again and that you want, in writing, a copy of their investigation into what went wrong and how they will be immediately changing that process. It was THEIR job to stop everything and figure out if it was something THEY were doing that was causing the problem, even if you weren’t telling them it was. It was their job to turn everything off and see what it was. As I’m writing this I’m getting SO angry. What you described is a CLASSIC allergic reaction! His ARM??!!! Really? Emphasize to the advocate that the true problem was everyone’s lackadaisy can’t-be-bothered-to-give-a-fuck attitude. I’d want to know how many other “Covid” deaths are the result of piss-poor “care”. They should want to know too. Arrgghhh I am SO sorry for you and especially Matt. I am infuriated that all that worry and fear was not the result of actual illness but from a man-made fuck up of epic proportions compounded by clusterfuck after clusterfuck. Thank god you were there.

    1. Your language is a bit over the top, but I agree with your precept! And I’m so grateful that Kristi was there. Otherwise I’m afraid we’d be hearing a different story! I need Drs but I hate some of them, and my daughter who works in an ER tells me it’s for good reason!

    2. I’m imagining if it was my hubby who nearly died in a hospital…your language is not over-the-top. I’d have far, far worse and more colorful things to say…

  59. Oh Kristi, What a horrible time! I’m so thankful that Matt came through this horribleness! What a blessing that you caught it when you did. You definitely need at least a week for R&R for yourself! Blessings on you both in this new year!

  60. The Mayo Clinic lists those exact reactions to lactated ringers on line. That doctor and I use that term lightly needs to do a little research. Thank you for being his advocate and care giver.

  61. Oh my gosh, what a horrific ordeal for you & Matt. It’s totally unacceptable that nobody took your concerns seriously! I have found that these days with doctors, sometimes you have to really push to get the treatment you want! I have been hobbling around on a bad knee for 6 months, which the ortho surgeon kept telling me it was arthritis, (which I knew it wasn’t!), send me to PT which didn’t do a darn thing – they X-rayed that knee 4 freaking times before I said “I WANT AN MRI! NOW!” And that’s when it was discovered that the meniscus was torn & there were floating pieces of who knows what in my knee! I am just now recovering from the surgery I had before Christmas. I get so enraged when I think about how long I suffered before I finally put my foot down! I want a refund from that orthopedic doctor! ha ha ha!

    So it’s really a good thing you were there with Matt to be his advocate & push for an answer/solution!

    Praise God Matt is now home & recuperating/resting & will get well. Might want to make yourself some notes about this last stay, his meds, etc. so that if anything happens going forward, you’ll have these notes to refer back to.

  62. Kristi- take THREE weeks, take FIVE weeks. Get some deep and replenishing rest. I for one will be glad if I don’t see your post in my inbox, because I will know it means you are resting. I’ve been through the kind of hospital experience you are describing (sadly,
    more than once) and I know how hard it is. It is God’s Grace that you were guided to do the right thing, and were there to protect your husband.

    If sometime in January you take the opportunity to look back on the previous year and do a wrap up, that will be great. And then February might be the right time to launch, as we look forward to spring. Wishing you both all the best.

  63. Bless your hearts, that had to be terrifying. So relieved Matt is on his way back to feeling better. I hope you both get rested up now.

  64. I am so sorry that you both had to go through this. Matt is so fortunate to have you as his advocate to speak up for him when he literally can’t. Thank God you both home now and can recover in the peace of your own home. You are Amazing!

  65. Sending prayer and well wishes your way. Give the Lord time to Bless you and KEEP you- a wise and important investment as you both recover from these health emergencies.

  66. Kristi,
    How incredibly brave and fearless you were. Yes, get some deserved rest and recover, what a way to end the year. Nothing is more frustrating then trying to communicate with medical staff and their responses are a total disconnect. Your prayers were answered when you realized it was the drip, & there was someone on duty willing to change the IV to the saline. I cannot begin to imagine the helplessness and stress you felt when Matt couldn’t communicate and you were his advocate and life line.
    My prayers for continued strength and recovery for you both.

  67. OH MY GOODNESS!! How awful!
    It was eerie reading about your experience as I had a very similar hospital visit myself last summer. I have a different sclerosis but I react badly to certain medications too. ER staff tagged me as covid positive and didn’t listen to me. Even after the drug was discontinued, I wasn’t listened to. My IVs fell out or clogged time after time. I pleaded for help for the pain and was ignored; the solution filled my bicep but not my vein. My dear husband was my biggest ally and voice.
    You deserve more time off, dear.

    1. Holy cow, what is going on with the Hippocratic Oath?? Does it even exist? Very glad to hear that your husband was there for you and with you.

  68. Kristi – you should report this adverse event to the FDA.

    You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

    That was terrible medical practice by that doctor. You might also lodge a complaint with the Medical Staff office. It might save another patient from a bad experience.

  69. You have been living a nightmare. I will lift you and your husband up in my prayers. I’m so glad you became your husband’s advocate, strongly, and urged the drs to change the saline. Thank heavens (and God) for people like yourself who manage problems so diplomatically. Happy New Year!

  70. So very sorry Matt has been so sick. Thankful you were there and took matters into your own hands! So , friend….you take all the time you need to care for Your Sweet Matt and for you to rest…..your body and your soul! I promise we, your faithful followers will all be here when you are ready to start up again. .
    Merry Christmas and May the rest of 2023 be healthy and full of promise.

  71. Kristi,
    Among your many other attributes, you are a ROCK! I am so thankful for Matt’s wonderful recovery BECAUSE YOU WERE THERE.
    This scary event, with the medical staff saying, “we just thought it was a bad case of COVID” could’ve very easily turned fatal.

    This is exactly why you should NEVER leave a loved one alone in the hospital. I come from a large Southern family (and you know how us Southerners are!) and if any one of us is hospitalized, you can bet that there’s a 24/7 flow chart of who’s gonna sit with our loved one & for how long until we are relieved by the next one. And of course there’s always somebody in their kitchen cooking because, “Y’all have got to keep your strength up”!

    My anecdote is silly, but true. I’m retired from the medical profession & know that often short cuts are taken, meds can wait…as well as bedpans. Not all, but a great many are there for a paycheck & they have no compassion nor empathy for their patient. Sad it has come to this…just a paycheck, but I remember when I first began working 50 yrs ago, it wasn’t like that. So when you are blessed with an awesome nurse, let her know it & give her a pan of cornbread! And as the rest of the floor staff are having a party, complete with balloons & cake because you have been discharged, your awesome nurse will be sitting in the corner eating hot, buttered cornbread.
    And that’s a fact! 😁

  72. How utterly physically and emotionally exhausting for both of you. Being around the holidays can make it even more of an ordeal. But I must say, I’ve been a nurse since 1986, and I’ve never seen a reaction to LR or NS before. Unless they had some time of medication they had added to it. Both of those fluids are replacement fluids with electrolytes to replace depleted blood cells with nutrients. That’s not to say it’s not possible?!? But makes me wander, it there was something else in the fluid? Maybe even some kind of vitamins that he reacted to. Can u remember if the fluid was clear or yellow? If it was yellow, it could have be vitamin etc. sure glad you’re both home resting now. Take the time to heal and self care. God Bless

  73. Thank God you were there with him, and so glad that Matt has got through it, just take as much time you need, both of you have had a tremendous and draining ordeal just take a little time out , we can wait , it,s more important that you and Matt are ok, sending big hugs and love to you and Matt,, and a hug for Cooper,,

  74. I can see the Lord’s care of you in this awful experience. I think the Lord brought it to your mind that the doctor started lactated ringers, and that He alerted your own intelligence to the possibility of reaction, same with the antihypertensive meds. Because you do your best to stay close to the Lord He is able to care for you in all sorts of ways.
    I agree with those who are encouraging you to rest, recover your strength, feel your relationship with your husband strengthening also.
    Reactions to lactated ringers is not unknown. When or if you feel inclined to gather more information you can find it on the Mayo Clinic website https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/lactated-ringers-intravenous-route/side-effects/drg-20489612?p=1
    Best wishes to you and Matt and your families who also have had a scare – not like yours though. May 2023 bring happier times to you, and the prayers of all be beneficial

  75. What an awful experience! Praise God you were there and that everything turned out fine for both of you. I hope you get the rest and respite you need; you taking the time you need to recover is more important than the turn of a calendar page. Peace be with you for a healthy and beautiful new year.

  76. Oh, Kristi, what an ordeal for you both! So glad you were inspired to consider the new kind of saline as the problem, and that you’re both back home. Please take all the time you need to recoup and recover; we will still be here when you are ready to return to the webpage. Looks like 2023 can only get better from this point forward, right?

  77. How stressful and horrible for you all. A quick internet search shows that

    “Common side effects of Lactated Ringer’s Injection include: allergic reactions, such as localized or generalized hives and itching, swelling of the eyes, face, or throat, coughing, sneezing, or difficulty breathing.
    Other side effects of Lactated Ringer’s Injection may include fever, infection at injection site, or redness/red streaking and swelling from the site of injection”

    Just because that particular doctor hasn’t heard of it, doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Hope you all can get some proper rest and relaxation now.

  78. This is just horrible on so many levels! We must advocate for our loved ones when they are in the hospital. We know so much more than strangers and the fact that you had to do all the investigating is insane! I hope you follow up with someone from the hospital administration. Blessings to both of you!

  79. Most hospitals have now adapted the CDC’s COVID protocols. That lack of empathy or sympathy by staff towards you just….boils my blood.

    You are NOT one-size-fits all, and neither is medication.

    I know you guys are home and recuperating all the way around, so don’t worry about us, your devoted fans. Get some much needed rest. Updates on the blog, and work around the house can come another day. Spend every precious moment with Matt, and tell him hello for us.

    I applaud you taking those detailed notes! Make physical copies of everything they email to you. Screencap stuff. One-star rate that doctor. He won’t be fired, but it’ll hurt his reputation, and possibly warn future patients that he’s a man who can’t be trifled by improbables.

    Also, see if Matt can be tested for POTS (headaches, dizziness, constant fatigue, muscle aches and soreness).

    Also, I read a tweet (from several years ago) that a woman would request exams, be told to her face by her doctors that those tests weren’t necessary…. and then she made them note in her file WHILE SHE WITNESSED THEM write why they objected to her requests. Eventually it got to the point that if she requested a test, it was begrudgingly approved.

    Here’s to a bright new year, Kristi and Matt! I’ll keep you in my prayers.

  80. You definitely need another week off of not thinking about anything any more serious that what TV station to watch. What a horrible 2 weeks. So good to hear that you prayed because sometimes that is all we can do. God likes to hear from His children.

    Please, please take it easy for at least a week. We want you around for many more stories. Hug Matt and tell him we are praying for both of you.

  81. Every patient needs a family member present who can act as an advocate. They know the person and know when something is wrong. I have seen this several times. The nurses have too many patients assigned and can’t take the time that each patient deserves. I’m sorry this happened but I’m so glad you were there and insisted on a change in saline solutions. Wishing you and Matt a happy New Year and much rest and relaxation in the days to come.

  82. Sending blessings of GOD for you two. Please Kristy and Matt rest and recover from that ordeal. A lot of blessings for you.

  83. Thank God you’re such a steadfast advocate for Matt! Take all the time you need to relax and feel back to normal.

  84. You should take comfort in knowing that you saved his life! Between the BP meds and the lactated ringers, he could have been overwhelmed by the reactions! Rest…peace!

  85. What a scary, scary thing to have to go through for both of you!!! You are a smart lady and a total bad ass wife who figured things out and saved your husband’s life! You take all the time you need to get rested up and recharged! You deserve it! 🥰

  86. Oh, Kristi! What an awful ordeal! Sounds like you have been through the wringer. So glad that you’re both finally on the mend! Praying for you both and hoping for a much brighter and healthier 2023! Take care!

  87. Oh my goodness! So sorry to read this but I am so glad Matt is OK, thanks to your vigilance. Wishing you a happy and healthy and uneventful 2023!

  88. PLEASE TAKE A WEEK. I am so sorry that happened, it sounds so scary! I praise God for you both that he is better. If you need a week (or two) to really recuperate, please take it! My prayers are with you both.

  89. Wow. Thank God you were there to advocate for him. I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. 🩵

  90. By all means take a week or more to decompress! Medical personnel are certainly lifesavers but when they’re being obtuse they do it very well! So glad you were there.

  91. Unbelievable. Thank God He brought Matt through this nightmare. Try to rest and reconnect. Try to forget about the work and the blog. May God restore you both in the coming weeks.

  92. I have always heard that you have to be your own advocate in a hospital. Thank God, you were able to figure it out and even more thankful that Matt is better. Will look forward to your upcoming year of posts!

  93. I am so happy you were there to figure it out. I am absolutely disgusted that some in our medical community won’t listen to the patient or their advocate. I know this happens more often than not. May God Bless you and your husband.

  94. Wow, I’m really sorry to hear how 2022 ended for y’all. Must’ve been overwhelmingly crappy! I’m such a sappy person and hearing stories like this hurts my heart. And I don’t even know you. I stumbled upon your Pinterest projects, one in particular about a fabric covered headboard because my daughter wants one. She just bought her very own home and eeeekkkk I’m so excited for her! We’re busy busy finding inexpensive ways to make her house feel like it’s “hers.” She loves the bohemian look and we’re finding lots of projects on Pinterest. Can’t help but think good things are in store for y’all now that things are settling down. I hope you find peace in the new year. You deserve all the good the world has to offer.