For two years now, I’ve had a vision in my head of how I wanted my eating area to look–additional cabinets, banquette seating with storage, beautiful diamond-tufted upholstered back, big overstated chandelier.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Of course, it’s far from finished. There still no diamond-tufted upholstered back, no big overstated chandelier…but I do, FINALLY, have my banquette seat!
First, a refresher of where this room started.
I took that “before” picture minutes after we closed on our condo and got our keys. The electricity hadn’t even been turned on yet, so it’s a little dark, but as you can see, it was terribly bland…and very outdated.
You’ve come a long way, baby!
So as you can tell, my weekend project was building the banquette seat. Although I still have to do the trim work, prime, and paint (as well as finish out the toekicks on the cabinets on either side), I’m very pleased with how it’s looking so far. And the best thing is, I put a continuous hinge along the back edge of the top…
So now I have even MORE storage!!
There’s still a great deal of finish work to do. I’d like to paint the entire inside of the storage area white so it’ll look fresh and clean. And then, of course, the outside of the banquette seat will be painted the same color as the cabinets, so it’ll all look like one continuous custom built-in unit.
So can you envision the finished space yet?
Picture the banquette seat painted the same color as the cabinets, an upholstered cushion on top, a diamond-tufted arched seat back, and a beautiful apple green glass chandelier.
Did you also catch a glimpse of my new roman shade? In the top “before” picture, you’ll notice that the window had one-inch metal blinds (which my cats had destroyed). I’ve had those blinds on the window until this past weekend. Now I have this:
(Please note that that’s still the old taupe wall color. I bought my new soft yellow paint, but I’ve been a bit busy :). Hopefully I’ll be able to paint soon.)
Now because I’m working on a very tight budget, I wasn’t able to get the shades I had originally planned to purchase, which would have cost $277 for this one window alone. So instead, I purchased a roman shade from Home Depot for around $40. The problem? It was 60 inches wide, and my window is 55 inches wide. If I could have used an outside mount, it wouldn’t have been a problem. But because the cabinet is so close to the window, I had to have an inside mount.
Not a problem! I got out my trusty utility scissors and went to work, cutting off the extra width on either side.
Then I used my miter saw to cut the wood rail…
That took care of the width, but there was one other problem…the length was about four inches too short.
(Please be so kind as to disregard my unfinished window sill. 🙂 I hate doing all that tedious finish work!!)
So in order to solve the length problem, I removed the “valance” from the top of the shade, and I will use that to lengthen the shade on the bottom. Sure, it’s a bit tedious, but if I can save over $230, I’d say it’s worth it!
And remember, I won’t be needing that little valance on the shade anyway, because I’ll eventually have a beautiful fabric valance out of this fantastic fabric.
So there it is…my progress so far. I’ll be so glad to have this area finished! The “still to do” list is very slowly getting shorter and shorter, and I’m so glad to finally have that finish line within sight!
Hope you have a very blessed Monday!
**I’m linking this post to the Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello, Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch, DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage, and Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints On The Fridge.