Last Updated on December 28, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I had hoped to have the Craigslist dresser finished today so I could have a beautiful and dramatic “before and after” to show you. But not only did I not get finished, but I kind of hit a road block. So, let me show you what I DID get done…
As I shared last week, I found this dresser on Craigslist for $55. This thing is heavy, solid wood.
If I were using this in a bedroom as a dresser, I would have just sanded and painted the entire thing. But because I’m going to be using it in a family room, I wanted it to look less bedroomy.
The top was scratched and the original finish was an orangish-brown, so I was anxious to sand it down. So, with my trusty new sander (that I had to purchase because I burned out the motor in my last one), I got to work.
Soooo much better! Is there anything more beautiful than freshly sanded raw wood just waiting to be stained?!
Next came the task of deciding how I wanted this piece to be configured. I thought about keeping the top two drawers, then I thought about keeping the middle drawers, but I finally settled on this configuration. I’ll keep the bottom two drawers, and the rest will come out to make room for open shelves.
So after settling on that, I took a hammer and started whacking away at all of the extra support pieces that I wouldn’t need, and this is how it ended up.
You can see the road block I hit. Those two vertical pieces in the middle separated the three left drawers from the three right drawers. It needs to stay between the bottom two drawers, but the rest needs to be cut away. But…I didn’t have a tool that could do that. I think I’ll have to use a hand saw, as I can’t really think of anything else that will cut it close enough.
So, with that roadblock in my way, I refocused my attention to the beautiful wood top that was just screaming for stain. I used “dark walnut”…
What a difference! That pretty new stain really accentuates how orange the old finish was.
The last thing I did was sand, degloss, and put a coat of primer the bottom part.
And that’s as far as I’ve gotton on this project.
It already looks like a completely different piece of furniture. I just need to cut off the vertical pieces, add shelves, and add a new backing to complete the structure of the piece.
Then comes the difficult task of deciding how to paint it. I’ve already purchased two different paint colors to use–Martha Stewart Arrowroot, and Behr Intellectual…
So I’ll be using some combination of these colors, but I’m just not sure what that combo will be yet. I have to keep in mind that it’ll be sitting against a wall painted in this color…
Interestingly, the paint color for the dresser is a couple of shades darker than the wall color, although it certainly doesn’t look like that in the pictures. I hope it shows up on the finished piece!!
So that’s the progress, and the (somewhat unclear) plan. If you have any brilliant ideas of how I can incorporate those two paint colors on the base and shelf area, please share!!
Don’t forget! Your comment enters you into this month’s drawing for a $100 gift card to the home products store of the winner’s choosing. More info here.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!