Well, this morning was one of those mornings. I forgot to set an alarm, woke up late, and then had to rush out the door. But even with the late start, I was able to finish painting Gwen’s bathroom cabinets. Wanna see how they turned out?
Here’s how they started out:
And here’s how they look now:
(We’ll be changing the hardware. I just put those back on so that the doors/drawers could be opened easily.)
Paint makes all the difference in the world!! I used a satin finish oil based paint from Kelly Moore, but I had them mix a color from Behr called Distance.
I always, only, forever and always use oil-based paint on cabinets. The finish is second to none, and once you get the feel of it (yes, it’s a bit different from latex), it’s actually easier to paint with. Not only is it more durable than latex, but it covers better and has a fantastic self-leveling quality to it that makes the brush strokes disappear. There’s really nothing like it.
Here’s a view of the other side of the bathroom. For the most part, it’s still in the “before” state. The only thing that’s been changed is the wall color. It’s now a very pretty medium brown. Actually, it’s the same color we used in the bedroom. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before–use the same color in the bedroom and master bath–but we tried other colors, and just came back to this one. We both agreed that it was the perfect color for both rooms.
We’ve still got lots to do in here before it’s finished. The window will get a natural woven shade just like the bedroom, and then it will be topped in a valance out of this fabric:
And because this is a budget makeover, we’re not going to put money into a new shower door. So in an effort to minimize the harsh brass frame on the shower door, we’re going to cover it with a custom shower curtain in this fabric:
Those fabric pictures came off of the fabric company website. The colors are a bit off. I promise, they do actually coordinate.
We’ve also got new lighting to be installed over the vanity, a new chandelier over the tub, and that builder’s plate glass mirror is going to receive a little facelift as well.
It’s a process! But I’m having soooo much fun being so hands-on with this project.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!