Good morning, all! Happy Monday to you. I hope you had a fantastic weekend, and are rested up for a brand new week.
I have the latest progress on a couple of projects to share with you. Friday evening I decided that I didn’t want to work on any condo stuff. Instead, I decided to play around with a small crafty project that I’ve been anxious to try out: rag tag tassels (at least, that’s what I call them).
Have you seen these? Over the last week or two, I’ve seen these tasssels everywhere online! They’re so adorable, and they seemed pretty easy to make, so I decided to give it a try using my own technique. I remembered seeing candle cups in the unfinished wood section of JoAnn Fabrics, so I decided to use that as the “base” for my tassel. Then using torn strips of cotton fabric, burlap, jute twine, and ribbon, I ended up with this:
I really love the casual look of it, and I decided lately that just about any project using burlap is fantastic in my book. Also, when I was at JoAnn Fabrics, I saw this cute little snowman ornament (nnoooooooo!! It can’t be that time of year already!!), so I decided to turn him into a tassel also.
So using the same idea, but a somewhat different technique, I turned him into this:
These are so easy to make, and the possibilities are absolutely endless. If your taste is a little more fancy and refined, then you can use really pretty fabrics (that are cut, rather than torn), upholstery trim, strings of beads, etc. I think they would also make great gifts! The funny thing is, I spent an hour or so making these, and they don’t even go in my little condo. The colors are all wrong! Oh well, they were fun to make.
Now on to my big project: the pet station.
Have you ever worked on a project, and nothing seems to go right? That’s exactly what happened to me. I couldn’t find a couple of the tools that I needed, so I wasted time searching and searching. Then when I finally got started, I had the hardest time getting some of the support pieces out of the bottom because they were glued in (and wood glue is STRONG!). Then as I was cutting the holes for for the food and water bowls, the blade in my jigsaw kept popping out. I would cut about one inch, and it would come out!! Finally, the jigsaw broke completely. So frustrating!!
Sooooo…I wasn’t able to finish cutting out one of the holes in the bottom, and I didn’t even get to start cutting out the hole in the top for the cat food bowl. But even with all of the problems, I got quite a bit accomplished. Here’s where the project stands as of today:
The drawer really does close, but I had just put a coat of primer on, and it was still wet. I’ve also made a modification to the plan. I decided to leave the front off of the top portion, and just leave it open. I really love the look of it, especially with the beadboard in the back, and I think the open top gives the whole piece much less of a bulky look (it takes up less visual space), which will work better in my tiny little condo. I’m still going to make a cushion for Powder and Peeve to lay on, so now I’ll have to be more selective with my fabric, since it will be “on display”.
So that’s it for my projects this week. Hopefully I can finish up and share the completed project with you next Monday.
Now let’s see the progress on your projects!
It doesn’t matter if you’re working on a sewing project, a craft project that you’ve always wanted to try, a kitchen remodel, an organization project, a bedroom makeover, or anything else.
If it’s home-related, I want to see!
And the best part…it doesn’t have to be finished! I just want to see your progress, and offer a place for accountability and encouragement. An of course, if you’ve finished your project, I’ll celebrate with you!!
I finished the pet station! Click here to see the full project, and how the pet station turned out…