Do you know what a decorator table is? Oh, I’m sure you’ve seen them. They’re just plain ‘ole tables made of plywood or MDF, and made specifically to put a tablecloth over. This is probably the most common style:
Pottery Barn is a little more proud of theirs, which has a price tag of around $70.
But the more updated versions of decorator tables actually offer storage underneath, like this one from Ready to Cover:
Well, I needed two for John & Alice’s bedroom, and there was no way I was going to pay $370 plus shipping for tables that still needed to be covered. Plus, I wanted rectangular tops, not round tops. So I decided to make my own.
With one sheet of 1/2″ MDF, a bit of glue, and a few nails, I got two bedside tables that measure 30″ wide x 15″ deep x 34″ high…and all for the sum total of $25. Quite a savings, huh?! And the best thing…I had Home Depot cut all of my MDF for me, so all I had to do was glue and nail.
I started with two pieces of MDF each measuring 13″ x 33″ for the side support pieces for the shelves. To mark where the shelves needed to go, I measured down from the top 14 inches and drew a line. Then I measures down another 14 inches and drew another line. I did this on both sides of the MDF.
After both shelf pieces were glued and nailed to the one side support piece, this is what it looked like. Yep…a bit uneven at this point, but that’s okay! I repeated the same with the other side support piece: mark lines, bead of glue just under the lines, line up with shelf pieces, and nail.
Then on the back, I added two support pieces which were nailed to the shelf AND to the side support pieces. This serves to keep the shelf unit straight and sturdy, and also to keep things from being pushed off of the back of the shelves. You can cover the entire back, but like I said, I wanted to use no more than one piece of MDF for both tables, so I used the strips that were left over after the side supports, shelves, and top were cut out.
Using 1″ x 2″ MDF boards, I finished out the edges of the MDF top, mitering the corners with my miter saw.
With the front and side pieces glued and nailed, I filled in the cracks and nail holes with wood filler. When it was really good and dry, I sanded it smooth, primed the top, and then painted the tops.
So I’ll show you the finished tables as soon as they’re ready!! Just a bit more work to do.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!