Last Updated on December 28, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I have to admit, over the past five years, I’ve become a bit of a “custom-made” snob–custom window treatments, custom bedding, custom upholstery, custom everything. I will use ready-made items only if I have to, and when it comes to window treatments, I generally just refuse outright. Once you’ve dealt with gorgeous fully-lined, interlined, professionally-made window treatments, it’s really hard to buy some narrow, poorly-cut, lined-with-the-absolute-cheapest-thinnest-cotton-ever drapery panel off the shelf at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
But in the event that I DO have to use ready-mades, I generally like to customize them a bit: add some pinch pleats to a flat drapery panel, sew some trim on the edge of a drapery panel, etc. Just a little something to make it look not so “off the shelf”.
That was the case with the quilted pillow shams I used in J & A’s bedroom. I bought plain quilted white shams from Marshall’s, but I wanted to add a little something to beef them up a bit, make them unique, and to tie them in with the gorgeous linen bedskirt, so I added a ruffled edge.
I’m so please with how they turned out, but interestingly, I think adding this detail to a ready-made was probably harder than just making one from scratch. Oh well, I definitely saved money. Here’s how I did it.
First I measured around the perimeter of the pillow sham, and then doubled that number and added 20 inches. I cut a linen strip that length and 6″ wide. Then I sewed the ends together to make one continuous strip, and folded it in half along the width all the way around. Then on the raw edges, I put several gathering threads (no more than about 20 inches each). I forgot to take pictures of all of those steps…sorry!!
After the gathering threads were in, I pinned the strip to the sham at each corner, and at the middle of each side. To determine how much of the linen strip to pin, I doubled the length of the side and added 5 inches. This extra amount is for the corners.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!