Happy Thursday to you! First of all, let me say a huge thank you to all of you who offered feedback yesterday on this post and on the A2D Facebook page. It really was so helpful to learn where my readers are coming from…and so nice to hear that the lack of comments isn’t because you don’t find my posts interesting or helpful (that was my fear–that I’ve become a boring blogger with nothing valuable to say).
So again, thank you! Let me have one Sally Field moment, and then we’ll move on.
You like me! You really like me! :~D
Okay, enough of that. Let’s move on to the good stuff.
A week or so ago, I shared with you that I’m making the draperies for J & A’s bedroom out of canvas drop cloths from Home Depot. Well, when I opened the package, I realized that I had purchased the wrong size. (Just an FYI..if you purchase a size larger than 6′ x 9′, it’s likely to be pieced together with very hastily sewn seams).
So I took those back and purchased four of the 6′ x 9′ canvas drop cloths. There are two windows in the room, and I needed two panels for each window.
But get this! This size drop cloth is regularly $9.97 each, but right now, they have a promotional package that includes TWO 6′ x 9′ drop cloths in one package for $9.97!! Wow!! So with $20 of cotton canvas, I can dress two windows. Does it get any better than that?!
Of course, I wanted to dress them up a bit, so I started looking through my inspiration files, and I came across this picture:
I absolutely loved the simple, yet striking, detail on the leading edge (the edge closest to the center of the window) of each panel, so I decided to try to replicate that look on a budget. This is how mine look so far (please note that the brown “stripe” right in the middle is my table):
What do you think? I love, love, LOVE the look!! The inspiration draperies had a trim detail on the leading edge of each panel AND on the bottom edge of each panel. I decided to just do my ribbon detail on the leading edge of each panel. (Please overlook the creases…I really should have ironed them before taking the pics!!)
The process was fairly simple. I just used two sizes of ribbon (1 1/2″ and 3/8″) in two different colors, and then adhered them to the fabric with Heat N Bond. All you need is an iron–no sewing required!
It was a bit time-consuming, just because I hadn’t used this product in soooo long, so it took some patience and practice to get back into the swing of things. Also, working with the tiny 3/8″ ribbon was a bit more challenging because the 3/8″ Heat N Bond was too wide and had to be trimmed. I also took my time in measuring for placement on the fabric, because I wanted it to be perfect!
I also tried this product, and found it to be easier to use on the tiny ribbon.
I didn’t use it according to the directions, though. I found that it was easier to place the sticky side on the small ribbon first, and then iron it onto the fabric. If you decide to use this product, you’ll understand what I mean when you read the directions.
So anyway, I’m anxious to get these finished up and get them installed in the room. They still need to be lined and pleated, but I’m almost there!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!