Last Updated on February 12, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
I was able to spend Saturday working on Gwen’s bathroom, so I wanted to show you a few of the details that have been added.
First, the shower. Because this is a budget makeover, the challenge was to find a budget-friendly way to reduce the harshness of the gold on the shower door.
My solution was to add a custom shower curtain. I selected a beautiful decorator fabric, made the curtain tall, used a little contrast fabric band on the bottom, and added elegant little Parisian pleats. I think it did the trick!
It can close all the way, too, but I tend to like shower curtains open a bit. When they’re closed all the way, the room feels smaller. Here’s a view of the top header with the pretty little Parisian pleats…
I didn’t purchase enough rings, so I had to fill in with some leftovers that were the wrong color. I’ll be correcting that this week.
And here’s a closer peek at the contrasting fabric on the bottom. This is the same fabric that the valance is made out of (that hasn’t been installed yet)…
Don’t worry…that rug will be replaced.
Another little detail I wanted to share with you is the mirror. Like many bathrooms, Gwen’s bathroom has a huge plate glass, builder-grade mirror.
I considered taking the mirror down and replacing it with two framed mirrors, but soon realized that that idea wouldn’t work. First, there is an outlet in the mirror by the sink on the right (you can see it in the pic above). A framed mirror more than 16 inches wide, including the frame, would have covered that outlet.
Another problem is that the sink on the left is soooooo close to the wall. In order to have a substantial frame (at least 3 inches wide), and keep the mirror centered and symmetrical over the sink, the mirror would have been incredibly narrow. That’s just not practical for a master bathroom.
So in order to dress up the mirror while keeping the original mirror for practicality, I decided to purchase decorative beveled-edge mirrors and simply adhere them to the large mirror.
Now each sink area is accented with a pretty little mirror.
There are still so many details that need to be finished up. And if I can ever find the tiny screws that hold the glass globes onto the light fixtures, I can cover up those bare bulbs. Somehow during this process, those tiny little screws were misplaced…probably thrown away. Yikes! I’m sure Home Depot can come to my rescue.
I’m off to work on more details…valances, artwork, accessories. Fun stuff!!
Have a great day!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!