(This is a supplemental post to the main Site Build It Scam post.)
In 2009, Site Build It (also called Site Sell and SBI!) received a negative online review from a blogger named Lis Sowerbutts. You can read her review of Site Build It here. Evidently that post caused some problems for Site Sell, because in response, Ken Evoy, the owner of Site Sell, went into overdrive trying to do damage control. You can read about Ken Evoy’s insane response to the negative review here.
As part of their damage control efforts, Ken Evoy wrote a “formal response” to the claims. Another thing they did was purchase several domains with very specific key words so that they could write their own “review” of their own product, in hopes that these pages would rank highly in Google searches for the key word “Site Build It Scam”.
As I was looking at these sites, I came across one called sitebuilditreview.org.
This site is written as if it’s an objective review of Site Build It. However, I noticed a few interesting things. First of all, the disclaimer at the bottom says:
We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review in order to keep our site up and running. We review each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
So this Site Build It review, that gives Site Sell the highest praise and the highest rating, is allegedly written by a professional review company, and yet their name isn’t listed anywhere on the site! Isn’t it strange that a company that “receives compensation from the companies whose products we review” doesn’t at least list their name so that others who want their services can contact them?
Also interesting is that they say they’re compensated “in order to keep our site up and running.”
This website only has ONE page. That’s it. And the domain name is sitebuilditreview.org.
One more thing…this website’s domain was registered with Domains By Proxy, which is a company that people use to register domains when they want to keep their identity concealed.
So isn’t it pretty obvious that this site either belongs to Ken Evoy (the owner of Site Build It), or an employee of SBI!, or an affiliate who was seeing his profits dwindle after the negative review?
Yeah. It’s pretty obvious.
Now here’s the funny part.
When this person, who is obviously tied to SBI! in some way, was desperate to get a site up, and needed great search engine optimization in order for the page to rank on the first page of Google’s listing, what did they use?
Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard I was crying when I saw that.
Click on the links below to read more about the claims made by Site Build It on their Site Sell marketing pages:
- WordPress vs. Site Build It (SBI!) — Their ridiculous claims that lit a fire under me to begin with. The argument started here.
- WordPress.COM vs. Site Build It (SBI!) — A fair and reasonable comparison? Not even close. I reveal in depth one of Ken Evoy’s most devious marketing schemes.
- Making sense (and cents) of Alexa ranks, and is “being in the top 1% of all websites” really as impressive as it seems? I spill some juicy details of how much I make on my Addicted 2 Decorating.
- Site Sell Random Sampling — A look at real customer Alexa ranks (and therefore, traffic and potential for income)
- A realistic look at those “100’s of successful Site Build It websites”. An in-depth look at the “success stories” from their marketing information. The results? It’s not pretty.