Today, I don’t have pretty decorating or a fun d.i.y. project to share with you, but I have some very important information that I wanted to pass along.
Do you have those little curly-q light bulbs in your home?
I’m sure most of us have at least one. After all, we’re told that it’s the responsible thing to do. If you want to be a responsible homeowner (or a responsible citizen of this planet), you need to remove the energy-sucking incandescent bulbs and replace them with energy-efficient CFLs, right? In fact, our government (in the U.S.) has gone so far as to initiate a “phase out” plan for incandescent bulbs, beginning with 100-watt bulbs in 2012, and ending with 40-watt bulbs in 2014.
But are these CFL bulbs such a great idea? The evidence would show that they aren’t. First of all, they are filled with mercury. If you accidentally break one in your home, you’re supposed to call poison control. Can you even imagine? You break a light bulb, and rather than just getting a broom and dust pan, you have to evacuate the area to be sure your family members and pets stay out of harm’s way, and call poison control! Does that sound even remotely reasonable?
And you should never, ever throw one in the garbage. Nope, you’re supposed to take them to a special recycle center. Throwing them in the garbage means that they’ll end up in our land fills and eventually poison our drinking water.
Umm…shouldn’t that be our first clue that these things probably shouldn’t be brought into our homes?
But there’s more. Much more. I found this info-packed video that explains it.
So, if you’ve been feeling tired, sluggish, or depressed, it could very well be your lighting. If you’re having trouble regulating your blood sugar levels, or if your MS symptoms are mysteriously spiraling out of control, you might want to take a peek at what type of light bulbs your using.
I will be ridding my house of these things…today.