Last Updated on June 5, 2021 by Kristi Linauer
There has been some serious progress made on the carport in the 15 days since I last updated you. In fact, I think the last time I showed you any progress here on the blog, it looked like this…
That wasn’t really a carport. That was just a whole lot of concrete. It’s not really a carport without a roof.
But now, it’s starting to look like an actual carport! They got the posts put up and the massive triple LVL beams in place, bolted together, and tied into the existing studio framing. The back wall of the studio has also been reframed to its new eight-foot height. And then, the most exciting part was seeing the rafters being built. That’s when everything really started coming together.
For over a week now, it has looked pretty messy and confusing because of the too-long tails on the rafters and all of the bracing used to keep everything square…
But yesterday, things really started taking shape. The long tails of the rafters were cut to the proper lengths and finished out, and all of the bracing (with the exception of the braces still left on the two posts) was removed. I had to take this picture with the panoramic setting on my iPhone to get everything in the frame, so the rafters look a little bit curved. I promise that they’re actually perfectly straight. 🙂
But if you’ve had trouble visualizing how the carport was going to tie into the original roof, now you can actually see how it’s coming together. This is what I started out with…
There was the original roof of the garage (now studio) that had a standard pitch (probably 5/12). And then at some point, the back storage room (now the mudroom and half bathroom) was added on, and whoever built it just started the roof at the low part of the original roof and slanted it down slightly so that the back wall was only about seven feet high.
You can see in the picture of the original back side of the studio (two pictures above) how the roof sits just above the doors and windows, leaving barely enough room for trim on top of the doors and windows.
But now the roof of the carport ties into the original studio (garage) roof, with the top ridges of the carport roof and the studio roof meeting at the same height, which means that the carport roof completely covers over that awkward flat roof extension over the back of the studio.
So much better, right? This looks completely intentional, and not like an afterthought.
If you look just above the doors, you can see the new back wall framing. The horizontal boards are the new top plate of the wall, so they still have to add the joists on top.
Right now, most of the original flat roof is still in place. They just cut away enough of it to tie the carport beams into the original framing of the studio, and to reframe the back wall.
The rest of the flat roof will be removed eventually, but they don’t want to do that too soon because it will leave the studio literally wide open to critters. It would also be open to rain until they get more of the new rafters covered.
And of course, there’s the little issue that if they removed the flat roof prematurely, anyone with a ladder would be able to climb right over that exterior wall and right into our house. So for now, the flat roof will stay intact until they get a little further along.
So that means that the changes on the inside haven’t been quite as exciting. You can see here that the original flat roof rafters are still there and the decking and shingles are still on there as well. They just cut enough away so that they could raise the framing of the wall with new, taller 2 x 4’s and add a new double top plate at the new height.
But when you’re standing inside the back area of the studio, you still just see the original low ceiling. I’m very anxious for it to be removed so I can actually see the new wall height, but I also completely understand why they can’t rush that part. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if that roof were gone right now.
And finally, let me show you how the side view has changed. This is what it looked like originally…
And now that same view looks like this…
You can still see hints of that awkward flat roof under the new carport roof, but that’s mainly because of the white piece of trim that’s still there. That little bit of siding and trim under there will be replaced so that no hints of that flat roof remain.
The progress is exciting! Sadly, it’s supposed to rain quite a bit this week, so I doubt there will be much progress made over the next few days. But it’s getting there! I can’t imagine that it will be much longer before it’s finished.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!