Good morning, and happy Monday to you!! I must confess, I did absolutely no work on my tiny little condo this weekend. None. Zilch. Nada. And it was actually quite nice.
So I thought this would be a perfect time to start plowing through some of those DIY project instructions that I’ve been intending to post for…well…quite some time now. Today I’ll start with this…
How to turn raised panel cabinet doors into shaker style doors.
When we first moved into our condo, this is what the kitchen cabinets looked like…
Horrible, right? Not only were they orange, but those double-raised panels were just way too much for such a small space. Almost immediately, I broke out the gel stain and refinished them with a really dark stain, but that did little to calm the space. So I decided it was time for a complete overhaul. I wanted a calmer look, with no raised panels. So here are the steps I took:
I removed all of the doors from the cabinets, and make a workspace outside on two 5-gallon buckets.
Using the largest drill bit that I had (at the time), I drilled a hole in the door right next to the outside
frame that I wanted to keep. I was very careful not to drill into the frame.
Because my drill bit wasn’t very big, I actually had to drill two holes right next to each
other to have a large enough space for….
…my jigsaw. I used this to cut out the inside panel, right up against the frame that I wanted to keep. I took my time on this step just to be sure I was cutting straight lines.
I didn’t worry about the corners on the first pass with the jigsaw.
I came back and did the corners separately, so that I could be sure to get them perfectly square.
When I had them all cut, I was left with a bunch of frames.
The next step was to sand them using my orbital sander. This was very helpful in
smoothing away any areas that weren’t cut perfectly straight. It also helped a great
deal on the areas where the two panels met and there was a little joint.
The next step was to cut the new inserts. I used very thin wood with a stainable/paintable
veneer that I found at Home Depot. They came in 2′ X 4′ pieces.
I measured the opening of each frame, allowing for an overlap of about 1/4″ on each side.
I didn’t want to make the overlap too large, or it would have interfered with the placement
of the hinges. Then I used my jigsaw to cut the panels to the right size.
I tested each one for fit before moving on.
Once I had all of the panels cut, I used construction adhesive to secure the panels to the backs of the frames.
And then flipped the frame over to be sure the fit was correct before putting it aside to allow it to dry.
In some areas, the construction adhesive squeezed out the front. I wiped away all that I could with
my finger, but it wasn’t necessary to get every single bit off, because it would later be hidden by caulk.
When I had all of the panels glued on, I stacked the doors and left them overnight to dry.
Next I used latex caulk to smooth the areas where the panel and the frame met. I also used caulk to fill in any imperfections left from where the raised panels had been removed.
I started with a nice bead of caulk, working on two sides at a time, and then quickly wiped away
the excess with my finger and a moist rag.
When it was caulked, and the excess caulk was removed, it looked like this.
When all of the caulk was dry, I followed with two coats of primer, and then they were ready to paint!
They’re not perfect by any means, and they also don’t match the new cabinet doors perfectly, but I really don’t think that anyone would notice if I’d stop pointing it out. 🙂
The “new” shaker-style cabinet doors–previously double-raised panel doors.
These are actually new cabinets. You can see that the doors
don’t match perfectly with the ones in the kitchen, but they’re pretty close!
I’m probably going to just keep on plowing through these DIY project instructions this week so that I can finally get them finished, so that means that posts won’t be the “regularly scheduled” topics this week. Hope you don’t mind!
Oh, and if there are DIY instructions that you’ve been waiting patiently for, please let me know so that I can be sure to get to it this week!!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!
Copyright 2007-2021 - Kristi Linauer, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Addicted 2 Decorating is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.