The cabinets on the wall of cabinets are starting to look a bit more custom now! I made and added the decorative feet yesterday, and it turned out just like I had envisioned. I love it when that happens! 😀
That’s quite a step up from the 2 x 4 bases that were showing the day before, right?
Right now they look a bit washed out and blend in with the floor, but just imagine the gorgeous green paint color on the cabinets. Can you picture it?
The actual feet were a breeze to make, but all of the prep work leading up to installing the feet was a bit time consuming. But here’s how I did it.
First, I used toe kick plywood to cover the 2 x 4 bases of the cabinets. This thin plywood comes pre-cut to 4.5 inches tall, and comes in 96-inch lengths so that you can cut it to the length you need. I glued and nailed the toe kick plywood to the 2 x 4 bases. Then, just like I did on the upper cabinets before installing the decorative moulding, I added 1 x 2’s along the bottom edge of the cabinets, making sure that the front edge of the 1 x 2’s were flush with the front of the cabinets.
I attached those 1 x 2’s using 2.5-inch nails and wood glue, and I nailed straight down through the bottom frame piece on the cabinets. So the nail basically went in the same direction as the arrow on the picture above under the caption “1 x 2 along bottom edge of cabinets.”
Next I attached the decorative trim right along the “seam” where the 1 x 2’s met the cabinets. This decorative trim had to be mitered at the corners.
Here’s a close up look at the decorative trim I used. I think it was called something like “panel moulding” because it can be used along the edge of paneling or beadboard since it has the rabbet on the back similar to what picture frame moulding has.
I attached that moulding so that the rabbet was at the bottom, and I just slid the decorative foot back behind the trim and into that rabbet.
I made the decorative feet out of 1 x 4 lumber. I started by making a pattern, which I drew freehand on a scrap piece of 1 x 4 and then cut out using my jigsaw with a detail blade. (Note: Any time you cut details and curves, be sure you have a detail blade in your jigsaw! These blades are small and thin, and are generally labeled “curve” on the package.)
Then I used that pattern to trace all of the feet that I needed. I only used the pattern for the curvy side, and left each one pretty long (about 10 inches or so). I used my miter saw to cut the straight sides of the feet after determining how long I wanted each foot.
After I determined the length I wanted the feet to be, I cut them down with the miter saw and them put them into place. The feet on the corners of the bumped out section had to be mitered. All of the others had straight cuts on the ends.
I didn’t get a picture of this part, but I set the feet into place, and then reached inside and carefully drew a line on the floor along the edge of the feet. Then I removed the feet, used a small piece of 1 x 2 and glued and nailed it to the floor. This gave me something to nail the foot into for support. Then I added a small bead of wood glue along the top front edge of the foot, put it into place, and nailed it to the brace I just attached to the floor.
I added a brace for each foot. You can see the one I added for the side foot here, and if you look really hard and possibly squint your eyes and turn your head just so, you can see the light pencil mark on the floor that I marked by placing the foot in place and then tracing along the bottom back edge.
Those gave me something to nail to, and added stability to the feet.
I’m really excited about how those feet turned out. I love it when a project turns out like I had planned and envisioned in my mind!
I can’t wait to get them painted!!
I still need to finish up the trim on the top cabinets — topper, crown moulding, etc. I was sure I was going to get it finished yesterday, but at the last minute, I decided to add lighting to the four center upper cabinets (the ones that will have glass fronts), and I can’t add the trim to the top until I have the lights installed. I’ll get that finished up today and hopefully show you the finished (i.e., completely built, but still unpainted and with no countertop) wall of cabinets tomorrow.