I’m finally nearing the end of the building process on the hallway cabinets, which means that I should soon be getting to the fun stuff.
Over the last two days, I finished building the cabinet doors (using this easy no-special-tools-needed process I shared here), built the drawer, made the drawer front (just like the cabinet doors) and got the cabinet all trimmed out with crown moulding, decorative moulding around the drawer, and baseboards. I also got the cat entrance cut and installed on the side of the bottom cabinet since that’s where Peeve’s litter box is going.
It looks a bit busy right now since it’s two different colors, but here’s how it looks so far…
Of course, the crown moulding and baseboards will continue around the room. And I’ve ordered a new ceiling light, which will be here tomorrow, so my dark hallway (and dark photos) should start looking much brighter very soon.
But anyway, for now you’ll just have to imagine the cabinet all one solid color (which won’t be white, by the way) rather than this two-tone business that’s going on right now. Since I used cabinet grade plywood, I’m just going to polyurethane all of the interior surfaces of the cabinets and drawer, and then I’ll paint the drawer front, cabinet doors, and the outside of the actual cabinet.
For the drawer, I used 16″ full-extension ball bearing drawer slides (these are the ones I bought).
I didn’t take pictures of the building process for the drawer, but it’s basically just an open-top box, built the exact same way I built the boxes that make up the separate sections of the cabinet (you can see that process here). Once the box was built, I attached the drawer front (made exactly like the cabinet doors), and attached the drawer slides to the sides. Very simple!
And here’s the entrance on the side where Peeve will be able to access her litter box inside the cabinet…
And here’s the view from the inside of the cabinet…
That is a Kitty Pass cat door that I bought on Amazon (here’s the link for it). It was a little pricey, in my opinion, but I liked it much more than one of those plastic swinging doors. I also liked the touch of whimsy that it added, and I much preferred this design over others that I found that had cutesy cat heads with bows and such. This one was whimsical without being cutesy.
It comes in three pieces — the front circle with the ears, the back circle with the tail, and a PVC connector. It’s actually made to go in a 2″ x 4″ stud wall, so the PVC piece is quite large, but I had no problem cutting it down to size using my table saw so that it fit the 3/4″ plywood perfectly. It attaches to the cabinet (or wall) with 3M sticky tape pieces that are already attached to the front and back pieces. I haven’t attached mine permanently yet. I’m waiting until the inside of the cabinet has been sealed, and then I’ll attach it.
So it’s getting there! I just have a few more finishing details (wood filling, sanding, priming) and then I can get some color on this cabinet.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!