Last Updated on October 6, 2012 by Kristi Linauer
Yesterday I showed you my new DIY headboard, which I’m absolutely thrilled with. But what I didn’t tell you is that that headboard was actually take two, proving once again that my sweet husband’s continual insistence that, “Kristi, everything you touch turns to gold,” simply isn’t true. The first headboard was far from gold. It was awful. Here’s how my headboard-making went this weekend.
It started just like any other headboard, with a piece of 1/2″ MDF, cut to the desired shape with my jigsaw.
On top, I glued 2″ foam, and cut the shape with an electric knife.
Then the batting and fabric was wrapped and stapled.
Pretty simple so far. The headboard actually looked quite pretty just like that. Simple, but pretty.
But then I added the nailhead trim, and everything went south from there. Yeah, nailing individual nailheads through two inches of foam and two layers of high-loft batting, while keeping them straight and perfectly spaced, is not only difficult. It’s impossible!!. I had purchased a nifty little spacing tool, but I couldn’t even get it to work through all of those layers. So I ended up using a paint stick to push all of the layers as flat as possible.
I got the entire top done, and one entire side. My hands were hurting so badly, the nailheads were looking sloppy, and I hated that the nailheads were set so far back with a big poofy center. It just wasn’t what I had envisioned at all. When I finally decided to stop, it was 2:00am. I decided to get some sleep and see how I liked it in the morning. So Sunday morning, I took another look. I hated it.
Next step…remove all of the nailheads one by one. Then remove all of the staples on the backside, remove the fabric, the batting, and the foam, which had been glued on really well, and start over.
I started the headboard remake by building up the edges with an MDF border. I used blocks that I cut and glued from leftover MDF to build up the top strips.
Next, I cut down the foam so that it would fit inside the MDF border.
And then I repeated the wrap and staple with the batting and fabric.
So I was back to this. It looked pretty much the same as the last one, only this time the headboard had something solid into which I could nail the nailheads.
I was able to use my nifty little spacing tool this time. The process was so much easier, and took about 1/4 of the time. And best of all, they were perfectly spaced!! I didn’t time it, but I would say it probably took about an hour-and-a-half to nail in all of the approximately 300 nailheads.
So much better.
So, it was a bit frustrating, but I’m so glad that I remade it. I never…EVER…would have been satisfied with the first headboard. And, that’s just part of the DIY process, isn’t it? We try things, make mistakes, and learn as we go. Even with the mistakes, the wasted time, the incredibly sore hands, and the late nights, I’d still rather do it myself than buy something ready-made.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!