Happy Monday to you! I was hoping to show you the finished dresser transformation for John & Alice’s master bedroom, but I wasn’t quite able to finish it. So, you’ll just have to come back tomorrow to see the final result.
For now, I’ll show you a bit of a sneak peek.
First, do you remember the original dresser? It looked like this:
It was nice–solid wood–but I wanted to make some changes to the bottom by removing the existing apron and adding nice chunky feet. You can read here to understand why I decided to do this.
So the plan was just to remove the apron, cut off the bottom evenly, then add some molding…
and then add these chunky wood feet…
which would have looked something like this…
That was fine, but it was a little plain for my taste, and I really didn’t like the drawers being so close to the bottom edge of the dresser. So, to add a little more detail, I decided to beef up the bottom with a 1″ x 4″ piece of MDF, and two different kinds of molding. I’m so excited about how it turned out.
The paint finish I used is the same one that I used on Gwen’s nightstand. The difference that the stain makes over the black paint is very subtle, but I think it’s well worth the extra time and effort. You can see the difference in this picture. The drawers on the left are stained, and the drawers on the right, as well as the top middle drawer, are not yet stained. The stain gives it such a depth and richness.
Well, that’s all I’m going to show you today. I’ll get the hardware added today, and I’ll post the finished dresser tomorrow, so be sure to come visit me!!