I feel like my music room is really starting to come together, and I’m getting so close to having the room finished! Of course, when I say “finished,” I’m just talking about the actual room itself — walls, floor, ceiling, bookcases, door casings, and doors. I’m going to hold off on the decorating, because I want to finish all of the basics in the dining room and entryway before I start decorating. Otherwise, my decorated music room would just get dirty with all of the sanding I still have to do in the dining room and music room.
Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I got the chair rail, picture frame moulding, and baseboards installed on the wall on the right.
The wall on the left was a lot more work because I had to install the casing on the opening into the hallway. But first, I had to patch more of my hardwood floor. If you’ll remember, I widened this doorway about 12 inches, so that left this messed up floor that I had to deal with.
I only had two pieces of the original hardwood floor left from what I removed from the hallway bathroom closet, so I used those and then had to use to new pieces. Those two pieces will have to be stained before I add the Waterlox, or they’ll stand out like a sore thumb.
It’s not pretty at all right now, but it’ll look just fine once I use my awesome red oak wood filler, sand it all down, stain those two new pieces, and Waterlox everything.
With the floor patched, I could finally add the door jambs and casings to the opening, and then get started on the trim and moulding on that wall.
(FYI, for those who were confused yesterday about exactly where I was going to be building the hall tree, it’s going to go right there in the hallway where the credenza (that the ladder is leaning on) is currently sitting in the photo above. It’s not going in my entryway. My entryway is on the other side of that French door panel.)
I got all of the trim installed on that wall except the picture frame moulding. And you’ll notice that I also forgot to prime the wall before installing the trim.
And the bookcases are still missing two pieces of trim each around the bottom. But installing the rest of this trim should go very quickly.
When I look at the room, it seems like I’m almost finished. But when I look at my “to do” list, I realize just how much more work is needed, and it’s all of those finishing projects that take so long.
So before I can call this room finished for now, I still need to:
- paint a second coat on the ceiling and crown moulding,
- wood fill and sand the left bookcase,
- caulk the bookcases,
- prime and paint the bookcases,
- repair the doors where the bottom trim was removed, and touch up paint,
- install the rest of the wall trim,
- wood fill and caulk the wood trim,
- paint the walls,
- paint and install the lights on the bookcases,
- paint the door casings,
- wood fill and sand the patched floor (and stain the two new boards),
- clean, spot sand, and add a coat of Waterlox to the floor,
- make or find a ceiling light,
- install outlet and switch covers.
And I think that’s it! 🙂 Then I can turn my attention back to the dining room and entryway, and hopefully get all of the major projects done by the end of this year. That’s the goal, at least!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!