Last Updated on February 14, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
There’s one week to go on the One Room Challenge, and I’m starting to realize that finishing my pantry in that time might take an actual miracle. As of today, the state of things isn’t pretty, but I’m still going to press on and give it my best.
But here’s the reality of the situation…
My cabinets are built, but are still lacking some trim and other custom touches, like baseboards on the tall cabinet on the right, crown moulding on both side cabinets, toe kick trim on the lower cabinets, etc.
And while I did get wood filler on all of them last night, they have yet to be sanded and caulked where needed.
On the other side, I finally got the cabinet build done (with the exception of the crown moulding), and I also tested out the self-etching primer that I bought to paint the freezer. (Again, that gray is just primer. The freezer will be painted the same color as the cabinets.) Then I hung the new handle on the freezer that I bought to replace that bulky white plastic handle, but I haven’t actually installed it yet. Right now, it’s just precariously dangling on the little posts that held the original handle.
And on the center cabinets, I’ve been testing out more paint colors.
I’m going with teal. The fact of the matter is that I like purples that are on the dark side and grayed down, but those just don’t go with the tiles unless they’re super dark. But when I put a really dark purple/eggplant in there, it just starts to look black during half of the day. I don’t like that at all. But purples that are more of a true, clear purple just start to look like they belong in a child’s room to me.
But I also went a different direction with the teal. The one I showed in yesterday’s post (which you can click here to see) is one that could easily be mistaken for navy blue…until you see it next to navy blue and see just how much green it has in it. So this time, on the advice of many of you in your comments on yesterday’s post, I tried out the kitchen cabinet color (Behr Hallowed Hush), which is unmistakably in the teal family, and more on the green side than the blue side. I also tried out one color that’s just a shade or five darker than the kitchen cabinet color (Glidden Teal Lagoon), and then I tried the paint color that was just below Hallowed Hush on the paint card (Behr Mythic Forest). (By the way, Hallowed Hush and Mythic Forest are old Behr colors that are no longer available on the paint cards, but they still have the formulas in their system.)
You can see all three of those, in that order from left to right, on the piece of plywood sitting on the floor. And the color actually painted on the cabinet frame is Glidden Teal Lagoon. I had my mom come over and look at them in person, and immediately that was her favorite.
Anyway, all of that to say that I’m narrowing in on the right color. (The right color for me, of course. I know those of you partial to purple will be disappointed. Sorry. 🙁 )
And on the pantry door wall, I still need to trim out the doors and install the decorative ceiling light properly…
That light is about to get on my last nerve. It works as long as it’s hanging down like that (very safe, I’m sure), but every time I attach the canopy to the ceiling, it stops working.
So in addition to the work being done in the actual pantry, I also got all of the doors and drawer fronts cut, partially trimmed out, and primed on the back. I left them to dry overnight in the plywood graveyard that used to be known as my studio.
I still need to sand the backs, prime the fronts, drill the hinge holes, add a bit more trim, prime the trim, sand the fronts, paint the doors and drawer fronts, sand, paint again, and topcoat. No big deal, right? 😀 Unfortunately, the weather has gotten cooler, so everything is taking longer to dry. The Zinsser oil-based Cover Stain that I use (i.e, my favorite primer) — the one that takes about an hour or two to dry during the summer — still wasn’t really dry enough to sand last night when I went to bed, and that was several hours after I primed the doors.
So, I’ll keep on keeping on, but I’m beginning to think I might need a few extra days to finish. We’ll see!
Be sure to check out all of the other participants in the One Room Challenge!
My pantry is finished! Want to see the entire project from start to finish? You can find every single post about the pantry build right here…
Or you can skip to the end and see how it turned out. Here’s a peek of the finished pantry…
You can see more pictures on the before and after post right here…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!