I’ve got more patio progress to show you today, and this time it’s my painted outdoor rug!
I’m absolutely thrilled with how it turned out! Yes, I did stripes…again. I really like stripes, in case you haven’t noticed. 🙂 But mostly I just like the fact that stripes are easy, while also being a high-impact design.
This project wasn’t difficult by any means, but it was so incredibly time-consuming that I almost decided to quit after the first stripe…but obviously I pressed on towards the finish line. And I’m so glad I did!
I started out with this super cheap indoor/outdoor rug from Home Depot…
They don’t carry this in either of the Home Depot stores here in my city, so I had to order it online, and really wasn’t expecting much because of the price. It’s a very thin and lightweight rug, but I actually really like it. I don’t know that I would ever use it indoors (probably not), but for outdoor use, I think it’s perfect! The rug is made completely out of recycled post-consumer plastic bottles, but it doesn’t really have a plastic look or feel to it at all. In fact, the feel of the rug is really quite soft under foot. Of course, that changed once I put paint on it. 🙂
Painting the stripes was so unbelievably time-consuming. (I’ve said that twice now…in a bold and italicized font even…so if you decide to take on this project, you’ve been warned.) 😀
I purchased five quarts of latex paint in different colors (I already had white paint at home) to match the colors in the outdoor pillows that I made, and started out by using painters tape to tape off the stripes, and a paint brush to brush, dab, and jab the paint into the fibers of the rug. I really loaded up the brush with paint in order to get it into all of the fibers of the rug, even along the edge of the tape, and paint didn’t run or bleed. I still got almost perfectly straight lines.
But that method was pretty slow, and used A LOT of paint! So I decided to apply the paint with the brush (just swiping the loaded brush over the top of the rug in several places) and then use my fingers to rub the paint into the fibers. But after about two rows, my fingers were just about rubbed raw.
Finally, I found a much easier method. I used the paint brush to apply the paint to the rug, working in small areas at a time, and swiping a loaded brush over the surface of the rug…
…and then I used a scrubbing brush to basically “massage” the paint into the fibers and spread the paint evenly. It worked great! I also quickly realized that painters tape wasn’t necessary, so I opted to use masking tape for the rest of the stripes since it’s cheaper.
When the paint was dry (I suggest letting it dry overnight), I sprayed the stripes with this clear finish that specifically says it works on plastic.
And it was finished!
I honestly have no idea how well this will hold up outside, but since the paint is really worked into the fibers of the rug, I really do think I’ll get at least one summer out of it.
So we’ll see how it lasts! I’ll keep you posted.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!