Last Updated on January 1, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
I have a new accent wall in my entryway — a dark purple wall with a Greek key border.
Now if you’re thinking to yourself, “Wait. What just happened? I could have sworn there was grasscloth there,” then that means you missed this post on Instagram. Unfortunately, there was no fixing it. And the more I tried, the worse it got.
So rather than dwell on it, I just got busy. I ripped down the wallpaper, made some minor repairs to the drywall, primed those repaired areas, and then wondered what the heck I was going to do.
I still had my heart set on an accent wall, and after searching through Instagram and Pinterest for an idea, I kept going back to this one.
I’ve had that picture in my “inspiring ideas” file for quite some time, so my entryway seemed like the perfect place for it. But I also tossed around the idea of doing a faux grasscloth paint technique (which I tried out a while back in this post).
So I debated the two options. I could do a faux grasscloth in a teal, or I could do a solid painted wall with a border.
But here was my thinking. The solid wall with the border looked very similar to my draperies.
So if I did a border design, then I’d want to do the whole Greek key design in order to carry that design element onto that wall as well. But if I did that, then the wall would have to be purple in order to look like I’m intentionally repeating a design element. Because if I put a border with a Greek key design on a teal wall in the same room where I have purple draperies with a Greek key border, it wouldn’t look like a cohesive repeat of a design element. It would look more like, “Wow! She really likes to put Greek keys on everything!”
So it had to be purple. But in order for the green credenza to look good against it, it also had to be darker than the draperies. I don’t have a color name or formula for you, because I started with Shadow from Benjamin Moore and had them lighten it, and then I brought it home and lightened it even more. (Yes, believe it or not, this is lightened considerably from the original purple.)
To do this wall, I started by painting two coats of white (Behr Polar Bear, the color that I wanted the border and Greek key design) around the edges of the wall, and then I let that dry for several hours overnight. Then I used wide painters tape (about 2 inches wide) specified for delicate surfaces (like freshly painted walls) and marked off the border of the accent wall. I just used a scrap piece of 1″ x 6″ lumber to measure and mark all the way around the wall.
Just inside that border, I used that same wide tape as a spacer, and then placed a border of narrower tape (about 1 inch wide) just inside that. Then I removed the wide tape spacer and had this…
Just inside that narrower tape border, I added a spacer using the narrow tape again, and then I began the inside border with the Greek key design.
The process for creating the Greek key corners using painters tape is almost identical to the process that I used for creating the Greek key design on the draperies using twill tape. Here’s a video I made showing how it’s done…
The main difference is that with twill tape, the corners have to be neatly folded. When using painters tape, nothing has to be folded, and the corners don’t have to be neat initially. You can just put the tape on in individual pieces, and at first it might look something like this…
But then you can go back and clean up all of the corners with a straight edge and an X-acto knife or a utility knife with a new, sharp blade in it, and then it looks like this…
With the whole design taped off, I painted over the tape with one more coat of white to seal the edges of the tape. This prevents the purple from bleeding under the tape and messing up the white borders. When that was dry, I painted over the whole wall (everything inside the outermost tape border) with two coats of the purple.
As soon as I had the entire second coat painted on, and while the paint was still wet, I removed all of the tape. I did have a few small areas that needed some touchups, so I waited until the wall was completely dry and then did those touchups with a small, flat artist brush.
After the wall was completely dry, I went back and taped off the outer edge of the purple and painted the edges of the wall in the same color as the rest of the room — Benjamin Moore Classic Gray. And yes, I finally did get those baseboards painted. 🙂
It’s pretty bold compared to the grasscloth…
But I actually think I like it more. I definitely like that it covers more of the wall. The grasscloth area was smaller because I was too cheap to pay for an additional roll of wallpaper. But with paint, I could make it as large as I wanted it.
So that was a bit of a setback, but it’s fixed and I can move on. There’s no use crying over spilled paint, even if it did ruin my grasscloth.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!