Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
If you heard faint sounds of shouting, singing, dancing, and rejoicing at around 9:00pm (central time) last night, that was probably me as I put the very last tile into place on my kitchen walls.
I’m so glad I pressed through and got it finished, but I can tell you that was the absolute least fun part of this whole kitchen remodel so far. Had I just done the whole kitchen in a running bond pattern, it wouldn’t have been such a big deal. I probably would have been finished several days ago, in fact. But that herringbone just about did me in.
But it’s finished!!!!
I still need to clean the grout lines and grout. And caulk. But those things will be a walk in the park compared to the actual installation. I had two more corners that had to be matched, one more tile that wrapped around an ogee edge on the countertop, and three more switches/outlets that I had to work around.
I know that several people were disappointed that I did the running bond pattern on the top part of my walls instead of herringbone, but I can honestly say that if I had to do it all over again, I’d do it the same way. Or I’d just save myself the headache and tears (yes, at one point, there were tears) altogether and just do the running bond pattern on the entire thing.
But I like the mix of patterns (especially after it’s grouted), so I’m glad I went with it.
I think in all, this room required about 1,115 tiles. I used 11 full boxes of 100 tiles, and then went back to Home Depot last night to get 25 more tiles to finish up this last little section. I didn’t use all of them, but I’m not sure just how many were left. So 1,115 is a pretty good guess. That means that the tile for my walls cost right at $245, not including the thinset mortar, grout, or the tools. Altogether, I’d estimate the cost to be around $350 for the tiled walls.
I’ll be packing away my tile saw today, and I’ll be very happy if I don’t have to dig it out of storage again for a good long while…or ever. 🙂
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!