Last Updated on January 14, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
The siding installation on my house is finally finished! The exterior itself is still far from finished…obviously. The siding still needs to be caulked, the whole house needs to be painted, and there are loads of other projects I want to do to add curb appeal to the house, but here’s the progress so far.
One of my favorite changes is that the second door on the front porch has been closed up now.
Even with it far from finished, it’s already feeling like a different house from what we started with in 2013…
So with the siding installation finished, the workers are done. After six weeks of having workers at our house almost every weekday and even some Saturdays, we finally have our house to ourselves again. And now that we’re finished with “phase 1” of the garage conversion and exterior changes, I thought it might be a good time to pause and talk about just how much all of this really costs. Here’s how it all breaks down…
The original estimate we got from the contractor was for $18,900. That included all of the major framing, like raising the floor to be level with the breakfast room…
…and framing in the front wall of the studio where the garage doors used to be.
It also included reframing the ceiling to remove all of the ceiling joists and give me a vaulted ceiling with a large LVL beam.
Other items included in that price were:
- Four custom size windows (including framing and installation)
- French doors (including framing and installation)
- Plumbing rough-in for the half bath
- HVAC ducts tied into existing system
- Two skylights (including framing and installation)
- Final cleanup and haul off of construction debris
During the process, I added a few things and removed a few things from the original estimate. I’ve already shared some of those details here. The additions included a concrete footing needed for the front wall, a special toilet required for the bathroom since they didn’t have slab access for plumbing, two additional windows plus installation, additional framing work in the area that was previously the storage room, etc. I decided to omit the skylights, and the original plan to tie in the HVAC ducts for this area to the main system didn’t work out.
Those additions and subtractions resulted in a net price increase of $1177.50.
But that left me without an HVAC system in the studio, so I purchased that separately (i.e., not through the contractor), which ended up costing an additional $3900.
The original plan also included just cutting openings for new doors and windows into the existing siding, and then patching it up as much as possible until some future date when we would focus on the exterior of the house. But the more things got torn up, the more I realized that trying to do some kind of temporary patch job on the exterior was unacceptable. The house looked bad to begin with on the exterior, and I couldn’t imagine living with it looking even worse for any amount of time. So we decided to add the new siding to the project as well.
The cost for the siding installation (labor only, not including the actual products and supplies) was $4000. That included the removal of all of the old siding (two layers — vinyl siding and the original wood siding under it), new OSB sheathing, Tyvek, and siding. They also replaced all of the eaves, most of the drip edge flashing, and all of the step flashing on the breakfast room roof. And of course, they removed the stone on the side wall of the living room and reframed it for siding in such a way so that the windows wouldn’t have to be removed and reinstalled.
The area they covered was from the back of the pantry, back, side, and front of the studio, front of the breakfast room, side of the living room, and front porch.
I purchased the siding and supplies myself from the local building supply company and had them deliver it. The siding and supplies came to $1793.46.
One final cost was the haul away of all of the old siding, which cost $350.
So the grand total so far on the studio and exterior changes comes to…
That’s a lot of money, and the studio is still far from finished. It’ll be interesting to see how much it costs to finish the studio/bathroom/mudroom completely.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!