I didn’t get my kitchen finished…obviously. I think it was pretty clear from the items left on my “to do” list on Friday that I wouldn’t be finishing the kitchen. It would have taken about three people to get through a list like that in three days.
But that’s okay. Progress is progress, and I’m still headed in the right direction. There were no major disasters, and no projects that I screwed up on and will have to start over again. It was just a slow and steady progress kind of weekend. And I’ve decided no more deadlines. It’ll be finished when it’s finished, and until then, I’ll just keep up the steady progression forward towards the finish line.
So here’s how my weekend went. On Friday, I took about an hour-and-a-half to finish sanding the floor. Then I finished up the other three drawer fronts, changing them from flat front to recessed panels. There was nothing quick and easy about that project. It took me four hours to finish the remaining three, and that didn’t even include any of the wood filling, sanding, or caulking needed to really make them look finished.
One of the major challenges with that project was cutting the tiny quarter round that frames the recessed panels. I had purchased a brand new blade for my saw specifically for that project (and then proceeded to waste an hour and a half putting the new blade on because I always forget how to do it and end up taking the wrong thing off and then have to spend and hour trying to figure out how to put the thing back together that I never should have taken apart in the first place…*sigh*), but even the brand new blade had trouble cutting the tiny piece of trim. It broke so many pieces that I started getting concerned that I would run out, and then I’d have to order more and wait another 10 days for it to arrive. But I eeked out just enough non-broken pieces to finish the job.
I also filled the gaps on the backs of the drawer fronts with wood filler (I decided to go that route instead of using the wood veneer) and set them aside to dry.
Then I decided to finish up the trim and furniture feet on the peninsula cabinets. I got the cabinets wood filled and sanded, and then I got two pieces of trim cut and installed…
…and then I realized that I didn’t have the piece of toekick plywood that I needed to install before I added the feet. And by that time it was about 9:45pm, so it was too late to go to Home Depot.
So I decided to work on the drawer fronts by sanding the backs smooth…
Then I cleared out all of the tools and stuff from the kitchen, spot sanded the floor where needed (my shoes left black scuff marks all over), swept the floor, and then gave the floor the first coat of Waterlox.
Then on Saturday, after a trip to Home Depot, I played around with some stain options for the floor. The new red oak floor with the Waterlox looks considerably different (much lighter) than the rest of the house, and I’d like it to match better. I had to mix my own color to get it to match, and ended up using Rust-Oleum American Walnut and Wheat in a 1:1 ratio. It’s almost a perfect match to the rest of the house.
It’s not a whole lot darker, but when you apply that slightly darker, richer color to an entire floor, it makes quite a difference. I still haven’t stained the floor, and I’m kind of dragging my feet because once I stain it, there’s no going back. Also once I apply stain, those floors will no longer be easy to repair if they get scratched, and the easy repair is the main reason I chose to use Waterlox on my floors in the first place. But I don’t really see any other option at this point, so I’m almost certain I’ll go with it.
After testing stains, I finished up the trim and furniture feet on the peninsula cabinets.
I only did the kitchen side and the side of the peninsula. I haven’t touched the breakfast room side yet, and I probably won’t until the floor in there gets leveled and the flooring is installed. Right now it looks kind of funny with the back side of the peninsula kind of cantilevered over the breakfast room floor like that, but once everything is finished on that side, it’ll look normal.
With all of the trim installed, I did all of the wood filling, caulking, and sanding, and then painted on one coat of primer.
I didn’t do the side because it needed quite a bit more sanding than the front of the peninsula required, and frankly I was running out of energy. I just wanted to do the easy parts. 🙂
Then after a quick sanding, I gave it one coat of paint and called it quits for the night.
Yesterday, I was pretty tired, so I took things a little slower. I only got two things done. I wood filled, sanded, primed, and painted the trim around the doorway. (Sorry…no pic.) And then I put the second and final coat of paint on the front of the peninsula cabinets.
You’ll notice that the floor isn’t covered because I ended up painting it with a brush. I just didn’t have the energy to tape and paper the floor, and drape the cabinets, walls, and countertops with plastic, so I used a brush instead of the sprayer. Since it’s only lower cabinets and not uppers, and didn’t have any big flat areas, the brushing was really quite easy.
So that’s where things stand as of this morning. I’m not even disappointed that I didn’t meet my goal of finishing this weekend, because I know that I’ve been working as hard and as fast as I possibly can, and I’m very proud of the progress I’ve made. Of course, I’m anxious to get it finished so that I can actually have a normal kitchen that isn’t filled with tools and paint cans, but that will happen very soon. Until then, I’ll just keep on moving forward, slow and steady. But I might need a nap first. 🙂