I didn’t quite get everything done, but the wall of cabinets is done enough for now.
I ended up having plain glass installed in the four upper cabinet doors. The plain glass adds some shimmer while not adding yet another pattern/texture to the mix.
I also got the base cabinets and doors topcoated with the polyurethane, and got them all installed. And then I was able to do the one wall of tile. All of those cut angles really slowed me down, so I didn’t get as much done on that as I had hoped. But it’s a start! I didn’t want to use white grout, so I chose a color called Bone that blends really well with the countertop as well as the darker color in the floor. It turned out just like I had hoped — nothing too dark and contrasting, but not white that would just make everything blend together and disappear.
I tried to caulk between the tiles and the countertop, but it looked awful. I used white caulk, and I’m not sure if that was the problem, but it looked so cheap and disgusting, so I wiped it off immediately. I’m going to have to come up with another solution for that. So that part still isn’t finished.
And I still haven’t cleaned the haze off of the tiles. I ran out of time for that, so once that’s done, they’ll shine a little more and the contrast between the tiles and the grout will show up just a tad bit more.
I also got the glass shelves for the four middle cabinets, but I don’t have any pretty shelf pins for them. I don’t want to use the bulky cheap-looking plastic ones that come with these stock cabinets. So that’s still on my list to do for this wall.
But it’s all coming together! And for now, I’m done with this wall. I’ll come back and finish up the rest…obviously. But for now, it’s time to move on to the refrigerator/range wall.
Still to do on this wall:
- Make and install the corbels on the upper cabinets (yes, I still want them!) 🙂
- Find the right cabinet knobs or pulls and install those
- Order shelf pins and install the glass shelves in the four center cabinets
- Install undercabinet lighting
- Touch up paint on the ceiling
- Tile the side walls
I think that’s everything. 🙂
And now, how about a quick look at the before and in progress view of this wall? Here’s how this wall started out…
And here’s the progress…
Quite a difference! 😀
And just for fun, here’s a progression of the progress on this wall.
I’m leaving it at that for now, and I’m moving on to the refrigerator/range wall. All the little finishing details can wait until the end.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!