I started out this week certain that I’d have my bookcases and walls finish in the music room by about Wednesday, and then I’d be able to start on my dining room. Well, today is Thursday and none of that is finished. But it’s not for lack of trying! I’m inching closer and closer to being finished each day, but I feel like things are going so incredibly slow, and some of the products I’ve used this week seem to be conspiring against me. 😀 Seriously.
When I showed you my progress at the end of last week, they looked like this…
The right bookcase was wood filled, sanded, and ready to be caulked. The one on the left was wood filled, but still needed to be sanded and caulked. So on Sunday, I got to work on that. I did get the bookcases sanded, but since I also worked on trimming out and priming the left wall, that’s as far as I got.
My goal Monday was to caulk the boockases early in the day, and at least get them primed by the end of the day. So I started early on the caulking, and that went smoothly. I always use Alex Fast Dry caulk, which says that it’s paintable in 20 minutes, but I generally give at least an hour. So an hour later I came back, and that caulk was as wet as it was right after I had applied it. So I waited another hour…same thing. About three hours later, the thinnest beads of caulk were dry, but the areas that had thicker beads of caulk were still wet and squishy. If I had run a paint brush over those areas, it would have gouged my caulk.
So I finally gave up on the idea of getting those primed on Monday. I still have no idea what happened. I checked the empty tube to be sure that I had used the right caulk, and it was labeled Alex Fast Dry. I’ve never had that happen before.
On Tuesday, I had other things to take care of (like hanging out with my mom and brother 😀 ), so yesterday I decide to focus on the bookcases and see if I could get them done. All of the time-consuming things were finished — wood filling, sanding, and caulking. They just needed to be primed and painted. Simple, right? I used my favorite oil-based Zinsser Cover Stain primer. It’s my favorite because it’s oil-based, so it covers really well but it still dries fast…usually. I can usually paint something that I’ve primed after about an hour or an hour-and-a-half at the most. Well, two hours later, it was still tacky. Three hours later, it still had that slightly damp feel to it. Four hours later, most of it was pretty dry, but some of the corners were still tacky. So I gave up on the goal of painting them yesterday.
I seriously have no idea what’s going on. If it were rainy and humid, I would understand. If we were experiencing freezing cold winter-like weather, I would understand. But we’ve had sunny weather in the high 60’s and low 70’s all this week. Heck, today it’s supposed to be sunny and 79 degrees.
Anyway, I don’t understand what’s going on with my caulk and primer this week, but I did at least get the bookcases primed. They still look quite rough (i.e., not covered well), but at least they’re no longer that light-sucking MDF color.
I think I’m really going to love the way the white bookcases frame the black doors.
So hopefully I can get them painted today, and then get my sconces installed. As long as my paint doesn’t take hours to dry, that goal should be attainable.