They’re finished (for the most part)!! My pink living room curtains are finished, and oh my gosh, I absolutely love them.
Pink. After all of the other options I’ve tried in this room, I never would have thought that pink would be THE color that would be my favorite.
As you know, I broke my own cardinal rule when it comes to draperies. And of course, that one rule is to never, ever, EVER use quilting or garment fabric for draperies. Only decorator fabric of an appropriate weight should be used for draperies.
And yet, when I was looking for drapery fabric for my living room, this is the fabric that I absolutely loved — a stretchy suiting fabric that is wholly and completely inappropriate for draperies. But I was like a dog with a bone, and couldn’t let it go. I was sure I could make it work.
I tried two different ways to add a backing to the fabric to stabilize it and make it more appropriate for making lined draperies. First, I tried a heat-activated spray adhesive to add a thin cotton drapery lining to the back, but the adhesive wasn’t strong enough and the lining just came right off. Then I tried iron-on interfacing, but that left areas that looked like air bubbles under the face fabric.
As it turns out, the fabric is just perfect and has such a beautiful drape to it all by itself. And since it’s a suiting fabric, it’s pretty thick. It’s not like curtains made out of stretchy t-shirt fabric. I still used buckram in the header just like I always do so that the pleats keep their shape and don’t sag, but the rest of the curtain is completely unlined.
I haven’t hemmed the curtains yet because, quite honestly, I’m not quite sure how I want to do that. I generally like my draperies to hang just a fraction of an inch above the floor. I don’t like them to break on the floor at all.
But with this fabric being stretchy, I’m pretty sure I could hem them so that they’re the perfect length now, and then in a month, they’ll be breaking on the floor. So for now, I just turned the excess fabric under at the bottom so that they kind of billow at the bottom. I generally dislike that look, but this fabric seems to be changing a lot of rules for me.
I’m so excited to get this room finished now! The chairs that I have in here now won’t stay in here. I just swapped them out because the other ones look so awful, and these look somewhat decent. But these will go back in the music room (and eventually be reupholstered), and the others will be reupholstered for this room.
I’ll also be making a long, skinny coffee table, but I’ve decided to forgo the sofa table that I had talked about making to go between the sofa and the windows. I like that area open like it is now.
And hopefully very soon I’ll be able to take the sticky sheets off of the arms of the sofa. I bought the cats some awesome scratcher/lounger things that they seem to love, and they’ve left the sofa alone for now. They love taking naps on it, but haven’t scratched on it. Fingers crossed that they’ll continue to show no interest in scratching the sofa when I take those sticky sheets off.
Anyway, I’m one step closer to a finished living room! It’s not quite there yet, but it’s getting there!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!