In my ongoing quest to finally finish my living room, I’ve been stealing a few minutes here and there from my focus on the guest bedroom in order to get a few final projects finished in the living room. So the other day, I purchased this floor lamp at Target to go between the purple chairs.
I loved the lamp, but because it was going between two chairs that weren’t against a wall, and that I walk behind several times a day in order to get from the living room to the kitchen, figuring out how and where to plug it in became quite challenge. I had even considered cutting a slit in the area rug, running the cord underneath towards the window, and then having the cord follow along the baseboards around to the outlet to the right of the cased opening into the kitchen.
If you didn’t follow that, don’t worry. The point is that it was a complicated solution, and probably wouldn’t have worked anyway because running a cord under an area rug (1) isn’t really the safest thing to do, and (2) would create a little hump in the rug that can be seen under the chair, which isn’t any nicer to look at than a cord running across the floor.
Then I finally decided to forgo all of that hassle and just make the thing cordless.
This easy project required one more purchase — this package of three LED puck lights. Another option would be this remote-controlled option, but at almost triple the price, I decided to pass on those.
Each puck light is just under three inches in diameter.
Figuring out the best way to adhere them to the inside of the shade was a bit challenging. First, I tried some 3M double sided sticky squares that I cut into strips.
It seemed to work initially…
But then I came in the next morning and all three were on the floor. So next up, I tried this DAP Rapid Fuse glue, which is basically a gel super glue that’s supposed to dry to a tight bond in 30 seconds.
I’ve used that on other projects, and it generally works great. However, it did not work on this.
The winner ended up being my trusty hot glue gun. (And Cooper says hi! 😀 )
Once I knew the LED light idea would definitely work, I needed to do something with the cord. The challenge here is that I needed to get the cord through this hole in the metal base…
And that’s impossible to do without cutting the cord. So I debated two options. One option would be to cut the cord where it comes out of the vertical pole. That would be easier because I wouldn’t have to figure out what to do with all of the excess cord. But what if I wanted to convert this back to a corded lamp in the future? That would make it more difficult. So the second option would be to cut it right behind the plug. That would make it easier to convert back to a corded lamp in the future, but I’d have to deal with all of the extra cord for now.
I opted to cut it right behind the plug because if I ever want to use this lamp in a place where I can plug it in, it’s about a ten-second DIY project to add a new plug. They sell replacement plugs at big box stores, and you just open the plug with a screwdriver, attach two wires, close it up, tighten the screw, and you’re done. It really doesn’t get any easier than that.
So I snipped off the plug, and then I was able to pull the wire though that hole in the lamp base.
Then I had to figure out what to do with all of that wire. I didn’t want to shorten it, because again, I could possibly need it in the future. So I unscrewed the vertical pole of the lamp, which came apart in three sections, and I doubled the excess wire over, and then fed it back up through the pole. There was plenty of room, so it wasn’t difficult at all.
With all of the excess wire safely tucked inside the pole, I screwed the pieces back together, and screwed the base back on. And I had myself a wireless floor lamp!
And in a funny way, it’s almost like having a 3-way bulb in the lamp. I can turn on one light, two lights, or all three lights.
These little LED puck lights don’t put out as much light as you could get from a light bulb, but with all three of them on, I’d say it’s the equivalent of a 40-watt light bulb, which is plenty for this particular area. If I ever want to sit in here and read at night, I’d almost certainly choose to sit on the sofa where it’s more comfy, and where I’ll have brighter lights that can actually be plugged in.
So slowly but surely, my living room is nearing completion! As you can see from the two photos above, I still need to make some pillow covers for those two white pillow inserts. And FYI, if you’re looking for down/feather pillow inserts, I bought those from ElemenOPillows on Etsy. I love the quality, and the price is good for the quality. I’ve purchased cheaper down/feather inserts elsewhere, but I’m pretty particular about the level of fill (I don’t like them too stuffed and firm, and I don’t like them underfilled and flat), so I was very pleased with these.
Just a few more projects to go before this room is done!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!