Well, y’all, I’ve started yet another One Room Challenge that I’m not going to finish. And I’m not going to even try to do any more in the future. It’s just not a format that fits my work style (or the needs of my house, since I’m generally doing way more than just simple room makeovers).
On the last one, at least I gave it my best effort. This time, I’m just quitting. I’m still going to work on the rooms, obviously. But trying to get them done by some arbitrary deadline isn’t going to work. I came to this realization yesterday as I was trying to work out in my mind how to finish the flooring in the back entry, storage closet and bathroom completely while the rest of the flooring in the studio hasn’t even been installed yet.
So I got that much of the flooring installed. I installed it to that point so that I could take a picture of the finished back entry for the One Room Challenge without the last row of flooring (i.e., where the felt paper and subfloor show) being visible in the pictures.
And then I tried to figure out how to actually finish the floor. I mean, if I’m going to get pictures of a finished bathroom and back entry, then the floors needed to be totally finished — stained, chevron design on the back entry floor finished, and polyurethaned.
But that created two problems. First, I don’t want to rent the big sander twice, so that meant that I would have to sand these areas with my hand held belt sander, and then rent the big sander when I get to the studio floor. But the second problem is the finish. Do I tape off a line where I end the finish (i.e., the stain) for these back areas, and then hope that I can blend the lines together without them being visible when I do the rest of the studio floor?
I was making this so much harder on myself than it should have been, and why? Just so I could finish these back areas by some arbitrary deadline? And again, why? In some hope that I’d be selected as an official participant in the next round and get lots of free stuff for the next room? If I want free stuff, all I have to do is start doing sponsored posts NOW. But I hate sponsored posts, which is why I don’t do them. So again, why am I doing this?
Well, I’m not anymore. 🙂 I’m an ORC dropout. And I’ll do things in the correct order that they need to be done. I’ll get ALL of the flooring installed, then I’ll rent a sander and get ALL of the flooring sanded, and then I’ll stain and finish ALL of the flooring at one time.
It’ll take a little longer, but at least it’ll be done right.
And speaking of stain, I’ve decided to whitewash the floors in here. Try as I might, I just haven’t been able to get on board with a dark stained floor for these rooms. I love the dark stained floors in the rest of my house, but it just doesn’t fit the vision that I have for my studio.
So I’ve decided to go with a whitewash in the studio and back areas. I tested it out on a board here…
That’s more what I had in mind for my studio. Light, bright, and airy. I think it’ll look so much better with my cabinet color (the coral I have on my front door), and it will lend a more casual look to the room.
And you may have seen above that I got quite a bit done on the bathroom vanity yesterday…
I went with the traditional style with turned legs. I’ll have a step-by-step post soon for that…as soon as I figure out how the heck to finish it. I kind of make these things up as I go along. 😀
I decided to go for it with the traditional style, even though I knew the top section had to be taller than the ones on either of my inspiration pictures to accommodate the full-size kitchen sink. But what made me be okay with it is that it kind of reminded me of the big, tall, wide front on a farmhouse sink, which generally has inset cabinet doors underneath. We’re all used to seeing those by now, and this has a similar look to me, so I decided I’m okay with it.
But I might have changed my mind on painting it black. 🙂 I don’t want those turned legs to disappear, so I might be altering those plans. As I said, I’m making this up as I go along. 😀 At this point, the end result will be as much as surprise to me as it is to you.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.