Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I have about 100 projects started on this bathroom, but nothing finished at this point. But at least I’m making progress! Here’s what things look like right now.
I got two of the walls painted in Behr Crisp Celery. I love the color! It’s so light and fresh, but it’s definitely green. I looked at the samples of this color on the Behr and Home Depot website, and they look incredibly washed out and almost gray. I didn’t find those to be accurate at all. The color is very light, but it’s unmistakably green.
Here it is contrasted with the white tile around the tub.
And I also got a good start on the wainscoting. I have a long way to go before it’s finished. Right now, it just looks like a standard board and batten, but it won’t look like that when it’s finished. There’s still quite a bit of trim to add, and I’ll be doing a tile border along the top.
And that tile border will wrap around the top of the vanity countertop and act as a backsplash.
And you can see in the photo above that I also restained my countertop (five times!). It looks awfully dark in photos. I mean, it IS dark, but in person, you can see the wood grain and actually tell that it’s a wood countertop. I’m having a hard time getting that to show up well in photos.
I ended up having to mix my own stain color for the countertop because I couldn’t find anything straight out of the can that I liked. I mixed Rustoleum Summer Oak, Traditional Cherry, and Dark Walnut in equal amounts. It was the perfect amount of dark brown with a hint of red that I liked.
I’m really liking how all of this is coming together. And that wall color just makes me happy. I’m so glad I didn’t go with a neutral wall color!! I love how this green looks with the stained wood ceiling.
And finally, I got my vanity all trimmed and ready for paint. I actually did this last weekend, but I haven’t shown you yet.
They sell solid panels to finish out these ends, but I decided to trim out the vanity during one of my “I’m so tired of spending money” moods. So instead, I searched around to see if I had something on hand that I could use. And sure enough! I had all of the ends of the plywood strips that I had cut off of the 8-foot pieces when I planked my ceiling. So I decided to put those to good use.
I cut four pieces to the right height (30 inches) and attached them with wood glue and short finishing nails, centered on the end panel.
And then I used more of the plywood strips to “frame” the end panel.
Here’s a view of the other end.
And yes, I did both ends, even though the left side will be up against the wall and won’t show. The reason is because I do want this vanity to look like a separate piece of furniture rather than a built-in vanity, so I needed the bottom trim to wrap around both sides. And in order for them to be even, I needed the same amount of width on both sides. So I went ahead and finished out the left side.
Then I added the trim along the bottom of the vanity, as well as a thin cabinet trim along the front vertical edges of the vanity.
Here’s another view of that cabinet trim along the front edge of the vanity.
And although I’ve probably created a cleaning nightmare for myself, I’m glad that I continued the trim on the left side to make it look like a separate piece of furniture, rather than having this side look built-in.
I’m sure one of those flat hand held dusters will fit in there, so I’m not too concerned.
It’s fun to see it all finally start to come together!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!