Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Adthrive
It’s always at this point in a project when I start thinking to myself, “I’m so tired of posting ugly pictures! I’m ready to get to the pretty stuff!” And yet, these are the pictures that make the eventual after pictures all the more impressive. 😀
Things are progressing slowly but surely in the breakfast room. I decided to go ahead and remove all of the wood from the walls to make it easier to run electrical wiring. The water damage on the wood on the back wall had me nervous about the condition of the framing boards for that wall, but everything looks to be in pretty good condition. Of course most (probably all) of those studs will be removed/replaced/moved anyway since I’m going from two windows to one center window.
But the reason it’s taking so long is because this wood refuses to come off in whole (or even large) pieces. It’s just splintering off in small pieces, and the huge nails holding that wood onto the walls feel like they’re driven into concrete. After two days of working on this, my hands are so unbelievably sore, and I’m not even halfway finished!
The most exciting thing I’ve done in the last two days is get my ceiling cleaned up, and get all of the extra wood from the drop down ceiling removed. Those 2 x 4’s ran the length of the main part of the room, from the front wall to the load-bearing beam, and they were all secured together along the middle point and then secured to the actual ceiling joists with scrap wood nailed into the ceiling joists and nailed into the drop ceiling framing along the center point.
So I started by cutting the long 2 x 4’s in half along the center point using my reciprocating saw, and removing the half of the boards from the center to the load-bearing beam. The arrows below show where I cut to start removing the boards.
Then I did the same thing on the other side of that middle section, and removed the 2 x 4 sections going from the center to the front wall. And finally, I came back and removed all of the center portion that was secured to the ceiling joists.
I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy the removal of the drop ceiling framing actually was. And when all of the extra wood was removed, I was left with just the actual ceiling joists.
Here’s the mess I had before removing the drop down ceiling framing…
And here’s my new cleaned up ceiling with the drop down ceiling framing removed, and just the actual ceiling joists remaining…
I also got the ceiling in the pantry area cleaned up and the extra wood removed. Before, it looked like this, with extra wood attached so that it was flush with the bottom of that load bearing beam…
And now it looks like this, with just the rafters left.
Those rafters sit on top of the load bearing beam…
And you can see the light spots left on the beam (in the picture above as well as the one below) from where I removed the extra wood from the drop down ceiling in the pantry area.
I did have one surprise. I thought that my father-in-law had insulated and drywalled the entire wall in the storage room at the back of the garage, but when I took the wood off towards the ceiling, I found that those angled areas are completely open to the storage area! I used to hear squirrels getting into that storage room, so if they get in there now, they have free passage right into our house. That obviously needs to be closed up ASAP.
So I’m definitely making progress! Here’s a full view of the room looking towards the back of the room where the pantry will go. My mom came over yesterday and bagged up all of the old insulation, and also removed all of the piles of wood that I had removed from the walls and ceiling, so my new concrete floor is looking clean again.
That door on the left in the picture above will be removed since I don’t need a door from my pantry into the sunroom. And the two windows will be exchanged for one single smaller window in the middle.
And this is the same future pantry area, just looking more towards the right wall that the pantry shares with the storage room at the back of the garage.
I completely forgot to get a full picture looking towards the front of the room, but I did do another video and I got the whole room in it.
My pantry is finished! Want to see the entire project from start to finish? You can find every single post about the pantry build right here…
Or you can skip to the end and see how it turned out. Here’s a peek of the finished pantry…
You can see more pictures on the before and after post right here…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!