Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
Okay, let me put your mind at ease. Fixing the dent in my concrete countertop didn’t actually cost me $500. But you’ll understand soon why I made that joke. 🙂
I tried several things to fix the dent caused by my sander mishap.
I tried using some of the concrete mixed to a thicker consistency, which didn’t work because the aggregate (which is just sand, I believe) in the concrete mix was just too big to be workable on an area that required such detail. I tried using unsanded grout, but I just couldn’t get the color right. I tried mixing half concrete with half unsanded grout, but still the color wasn’t right.
I just kept thinking that the ideal thing to use was the concrete mix itself…obviously. But the aggregate was too big. I needed the consistency of the dry concrete to be much less like…well…concrete, and much more like the fine powdery unsanded grout. So how could I get the aggregate smaller?
I considered sifting the mix, but that would basically leave me with cement, wouldn’t it? And I wasn’t sure if cement works by itself apart from the aggregate that makes it concrete.
And then I had a brilliant idea. I have a tool at my disposal that will grind just about anything. It’ll turn golf clubs and iPads to fine powder. Yes, that’s right. I’m talking about my Blendtec mixer. Sooooo…concrete. Will it blend? I decided to find out. 😀
I headed into Matt’s game room to get the blender (where it’s been living ever since our kitchen has been torn apart), and as I started unplugging the blender, he asked what I was doing with it. I explained, and he just gave me that oh my gosh, she’s insane look. But I’m used to that look by now. And since he didn’t specifically request that I not do it, I proceeded.
I put quite a bit of the powdered (DRY!!) concrete into the blender, and blended it on high for 50 seconds. Then I poured it out and let it cool down. (That stuff got incredibly hot!!). Then back in for a second blending, and back out to cool. Then a third blending, and back out to cool.
Then I took that finely ground mix, added just enough water so that it had a clay-like texture (kind of like Play-Doh, but a bit wetter), and I put a glob of it into a piece of the edge form. Then I pressed it against the edge, and swiped the edge form to the left. I wiped out the edge form, spritzed the inside of the edge form and the concrete glob with water, pressed and swiped to the right.
I just kept repeating this process (wipe off the edge form, spritz with water, press, and swipe) until it looked like this…
Once I got it pretty smooth, I just left it and let it dry, hoping and praying that it would turn out the same color. I came back periodically throughout the day to give it a quick sanding until I figured it was as smooth as it was going to get.
I was pretty excited that it looked like it was going to work, so in my excitement, I headed into Matt’s room to deliver the good news.
“I think my idea is going to work! I fixed the dent!” I said in my super excited, I’m-so-impressed-with-my-own-ingenuity voice.
And without even skipping a beat, he responded in his dry, not-as-impressed-with-my-ingenuity-as-I-am voice, “That’s great. Was it worth $500?” And then he turned and looked at me with a little smirk on his face. 😀
The Blendtec is safe, though. Since I didn’t add water to it, and only used it to blend the dry concrete, there was no chance of me accidentally leaving it to dry and harden as I got sidetracked with other things. So in reality, the cost of this fix was zero dollars.
And for the record, our Blendtec didn’t cost $500. It was a bargain at only $450. I reminded Matt of that this morning, and to my shock and amazement, he still didn’t seem impressed. 😀
Here’s what it looks like this morning…
It’s not perfect, but I’d rather it be imperfect in the correct shape than obviously dented.
Now I just hope that the color remains the same after it has been sealed. If so, I’ll be one happy DIYer with completely sealed and completely finished concrete countertops today. If not, it’s back to the drawing board.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!