Oh my goodness…this was one of those projects that I thought may never end. There were several really time-consuming projects involved–painting the cabinets, making the framed mirrors, adding accent tiles, and painting the faucets and shower frame.
But there were also lots of trial and error projects that ended up being…well…errors. Like the torn paper wall treatment that was scrapped, and then the glazed wall treatment that turned out to be too busy. Then there was the wrestling back and forth with ideas of how to cover the brass shower frame. And let’s not forget the two days spent cutting little tiny wood pieces that I thought would end up as frames for the mirrors.
I’m sure there were more scrapped projects that I’m just not remembering right now. But at least it’s finished…FINALLY. Here’s a quick before and after view before we get to the details…
Now let’s start at the beginning, shall we? Here’s how the room started out. The cabinets were in good shape, but they were just so plain. And that sea of mirrors above the vanity was more than a little overpowering for the room….
The flowery wallpaper just added to the busy look, and then there’s the pinkish carpet…yikes!!
The bathtub area definitely had potential. I just hated that you had to look past a really bright brass-framed shower to see the tub and the window!
And there’s the brass-framed shower, in all its glory. It was the first thing you see when entering the bathroom, which means it was visible from the bedroom. Not good. Not good at all.
And a closer look of the tub area. I could see that it had potential.
So are you ready to jump from this 1980s flashback into the present? Here’s what this room looks like now..
I added tumbled marble tile all the way around the room, accented by glass mosaic tile. And of course, all of the brass fixtures were painted oil-rubbed bronze. I added natural elements all throughout–wood, rattan, dried grasses, jute..
The shelves are very simple–stained 2″ x 6″ lumber, cut to 36″ long and stained, and then glued to ready-made wood brackets (from Home Depot) which were painted green and then stained/glazed for an antiqued look.
The tile continued around the vanity area and created a decorative backsplash. The cabinets were painted an earthy green, and the handles on the cabinets were made from real branches.
The shade on the window is from Home Depot. They didn’t carry them in the right size, so this one is actually about nine inches too short (sshhhhh…don’t tell!!). So in order to block the rest of the window, I added frosted window film. This was still much more cost-effective than purchasing a custom-size shade.
A close up of the $25 ReStore chandelier. It was originally shiny brass. I spray painted it with Rustoleum paint in Oregano, and then wrapped the arms and the little ring on the bottom with jute to add a natural texture.
I added the tall arrangement to camouflage the difference in the distance between the three mirrors.
Close up of the footed bowl made from lighting parts found at ReStore and a piece of wood found at JoAnn Fabrics. A little glue, a little spray paint, and a bit of jute, and voila! A footed bowl perfect for holding a large candle.
And the new oil-rubbed bronze shower frame. This single project had the most impact towards updating this room than any other project, in my opinion.
I absolutely love how the bathroom and bedroom flow together–the colors, the style, etc. It’s definitely a master suite now.
Now from the bedroom, instead of seeing shiny bright brass, you see oil-rubbed bronze. Much better!!!
Well, I think all of the time and effort was well worth it. I’m just thrilled with how this room turned out!!
Looking for specifics regarding this makeover? Here they are…
- Wall Color: Gobi Desert 710C-3, Behr Paint from Home Depot
- Cabinet Color: Dill, Martha Stewart from Home Depot (I had this color-matched in interior oil-based paint from Kelly Moore in a satin finish)
- Paint for faucets: Rustoleum, from Home Depot
- Chandelier: ReStore
- Rug: Home Depot
- Decorative Accessories: Marshall’s, Hobby Lobby, Pier 1, Michael’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Home Depot
- Woven Window Shade: DesignView Bamboo Providence Maple Roman Shade from Home Depot
DIY Projects For This Room
Posts About This Project:
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.