Last Updated on May 6, 2017 by Kristi Linauer
Well, it’s been a slow week here on the blog since I’m in the middle of such a big project, but I couldn’t take off for the weekend without showing you my progress. I’m happy to report that my kitchen cabinets are so close to being finished! Here’s the status…
On the refrigerator/range wall, these cabinets now have two coats of paint, the first coat of poly (click here for more info on my new favorite brand of water-based polyurethane), and they’ve been sanded with 400-grit sandpaper and are ready for their second and final coat of poly. Then I need to paint the inside of the refrigerator compartment, and this wall will be done. I’m running out of teal paint, and probably have just enough for the five cabinet doors I’m still waiting on, so I’ve decided to paint that compartment black since it won’t show anyway. You can see that last time, I never even finished painting it. 😀
The wall of cabinets has two coats of paint and one coat of poly. I just need to sand the cabinets with 400-grit sandpaper, spray a final coat of poly, and they’ll be done.
The peninsula on both sides has two coats of paint and is ready for the first coat of poly.
The kitchen side and end of the peninsula were ready for poly at the same time the other cabinets were, but I decided to hold off on doing the first coat until the breakfast room side of the peninsula was ready so that the whole thing could be polyurethaned at the same time. As of yesterday morning, the breakfast room side of the peninsula was still bare wood, so it needed quite a bit of work to get caught up to the kitchen. So yesterday I was able to do all of the wood filling, sanding, caulking, and painting on this side, so today it’s ready for poly.
And let me tell you, figuring out how to drape the plastic in such a way that I could get to the breakfast room side of the peninsula while blocking off the breakfast room was quite the challenge. 😀
So it’s getting there! Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should be able to get the rest of the poly sprayed on today, and then tomorrow I can put the doors back on, install the hardware, and my cabinets will be done. That’s not it for my kitchen, though. I still need to repair the trim on the opening between the kitchen and breakfast room, and caulk and paint that trim plus the trim on the opening between the kitchen and living room. And I also still need to paint the ceiling. But those things will be a cake walk compared to the cabinets.
Don’t forget that you can get sneak peeks of my projects on Instagram. Click here to find me on Instagram. 🙂
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!