Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
Well, it’s been quite a week around here! I feel such a sense of accomplishment. If you had told me last weekend that by the end of this week, the wall separating the kitchen and breakfast room would be gone, and that I would have done it myself (with the help of my brother, of course), I don’t think I would have believed you. Amazing how the ball gets rolling once we make up our minds to do something!
And what a difference it made! Just a few short days ago, my kitchen was a dark, closed up shoe box.
And now it’s open and bright!
It looks like a completely different room now. (Of course, that pic was before I spent a day cleaning up the mess.)
I decided that I’m definitely going to use the stock cabinets from Home Depot. I don’t want to waste time building cabinets from scratch, because again, we’re without a kitchen sink right now, and it’s driving me crazy. So I really need to speed this along.
So during their last 20% off sale (that ended day before yesterday) I got the cabinets for the sink side of the room, and the fridge/range side of the room. I worked all day yesterday cleaning up construction (destruction?) debris, and then last night I brought in the cabinets just to get an idea of how this space will shape up once they’re all installed.
Here’s the sink side. The space where the floor lamp is sitting is where the dishwasher will go. And the sink base cabinet will be pushed back even with the two drawer cabinets, but my new pipes are in the way. I guess I’ll need to drill holes through the bottom of the cabinet for them to come through, which is strange. I’ve only ever seen them coming through the back of the cabinet, not the bottom. So I’ll double check with my plumber before making any cuts.
And then on the wall opposite the sink is the fridge/range side of the room. I still need to switch the door swing on the fridge but…you know…I’ve been a bit busy. 🙂
Now unfortunately, I’m having to forgo the idea of the tiny little storage area on the left side of the fridge that would allow me to open the fridge door past 90 degrees to easily remove the drawers for cleaning. I know it might cause a bit of inconvenience for me, but I just don’t have room. Plus, I lived for seven years in the condo with a fridge pushed right up against the wall, and I know that while it’s more difficult, it’s not impossible to remove the drawers. But the fact is that I needed to get in as much countertop space as possible (which still isn’t much) while still leaving enough space to allow me to widen this doorway, and widening the doorway is imperative for Matt’s sake.
And since that wall ‘o cabinets to the right is currently a non-standard 22 inches deep (with the countertop being 23 inches deep), that means that the doorway needs to be moved over to the left about two inches plus it needs to be widened. I’ll be cutting it very close, but it’ll work.
I didn’t buy cabinets yet for this wall, because I really want to think about how I want the wall configured (both practically and decoratively), and I didn’t want to make a rush decision, seeing that I arrived at Home Depot at 8:30pm on the day that the sale was ending. (I was a bit busy installing a load bearing beam that day, and working as fast as I could.)
So I’ll have to wait for the next sale on those…or maybe not, if I get impatient.
The countertop on the cabinets on the sink side will be extended to create a bar area on the breakfast room side, but first I have to contend with the uneven floor.
If you’ll remember, the wall I removed was an original exterior wall, and the breakfast room was originally an outdoor area, like an open breezeway between the kitchen and the garage. That’s why it’s the only room of the house that has a slab foundation, and that’s also why the floor is so uneven between the two rooms. So I’ll have to come up with a solution to raise the breakfast room floor about 1.5 inches to make it level.
And yes, I also have a couple of holes and one rather large gap that just goes right under the house.
That’s where I took out the original threshold, and it left that big gap. I can just imagine a snake coming up through that gap, but I’ve just been trying to put it out of my mind and trusting that my cats (who have taken up residence in the drawers of the new cabinets) will take care of any unwelcome visitor.
So that’s where things stand right now. The next order of business will be to remove the rest of the old cabinets, clear out the room, and paint the floors. That might also require me to at extend the floor into the breakfast room at least far enough to cover the area where the bar will go. Then I can install those cabinets, build a countertop, and get my sink installed.
Now as far as customizing the cabinets, I’ve got a few things in mind. Of course, they’re still going to be green. I love that idea more with each passing day.
I want to add feet to the cabinets. At first I thought I might want bun feet, but I’m leaning more towards something like this…
And as far as cabinet detailing, I really like the simple corbels used on these, as well as the pretty top with the crown moulding.
So I think that’s the direction I’m heading with these stock cabinets. Let’s just say that when I’m through with them, they won’t look like stock cabinets anymore. 🙂
Still so far to go, but wow…what a sense of accomplishment this week!!!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!