Last Updated on January 1, 2019 by Kristi Linauer
It’s officially too hot to work on any projects that require much physical exertion (it was a record-breaking 112 degrees in Waco yesterday). But since I have a hard time sitting still, I’ve been occupying myself with some small, easy and fun projects these last few days. First up, I wanted to do something with this wood serving tray that I purchased at a bargain basement price at the Magnolia Market warehouse sale about three years ago.
I bought it because it was priced too low to pass up, but as you can see, it was not only huge, but also a little too country for my taste. So I did a little reworking and painting, and then coated the inside with resin to give it a super shiny finish. Here’s how it looks now…
Oh, how I love that super shiny glassy finish!! I think the juxtaposition of the high gloss on the inside and the natural wood on the outside fits my taste and style just perfectly.
To give this tray it’s makeover, I started by tapping the sides with a hammer (firmly but not hard enough to make marks on the wood) until the glued joints broke free. Then I pulled everything apart.
It was put together with glue and tiny little brads, so I just pulled all of those brads out with pliers.
Then I measured and marked where I wanted to cut the pieces. I didn’t want to remove the handles, so I just cut the same amount off of each end, keeping the handles centered on the end pieces.
I did that on all four pieces. I ended up reducing the size by four inches on the ends and eight inches on the sides.
Then I reassembled the sides of the tray with using wood glue and 3/4-inch 18-gauge brads on the corners. When putting together a frame like this, I use three nails on each corner — two nails going one direction at the top and bottom, and one nail going the other direction in the middle.
With the sides back together, I measured and cut the bottom on my table saw.
I made a careless mistake while cutting that one, and had to cut another one out of some 1/4″ plywood that I had on hand. I attached it with wood glue and the same 3/4″ nails that I used on the sides of the tray.
Here’s how it looked at this point…
Next, I caulked all of the corners of the inside of the tray.
When that dried (which took about five minutes in this heat), I was ready to paint the inside of the tray. I taped off the top edges of the sides, making sure to line up the edge of the tape with the inside edge of the wood as perfectly as possible.
Then I mixed up three different turquoise and teal paints that I had on hand to get just the right color, and painted the inside with two coats of paint, sanding with 220-grit sandpaper between coats.
I let the paint dry for a couple of hours, and then it was ready for resin. I used ArtResin, which recommends four ounces of mixed resin per square foot. I estimated the area of the tray to be more than two but less than three square feet, so I just rounded up and mixed twelve ounces of resin (six ounces of resin and six ounces of hardener).
I poured the resin into the bottom of the tray and made sure that it coated completely. To get the sides, I tilted the tray up on its sides, letting the resin pool as close to the top edges of the sides as possible without it spilling over. Then I used a small spatula to get it all the way up the sides.
If any resin spilled over the top of the tape, I made sure to wipe it away quickly so that it wouldn’t run back down and create a distinct drip over the thick coat of resin.
I repeated that on all four sides, and then made sure the rest of the resin coated the bottom of the tray evenly. After removing the bubbles with the propane torch, I let it sit outside in the heat, covered with a piece of MDF, for several hours until it was dry.
After it was dry to the touch, I brought it inside to cure until this morning. Just look at that shine!
Now it fits, both in style and in size. And it was a fun and easy project that fed my current need to resin all the things I can get my hands on. 😀
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!