My rolling French door project is almost finished! I spent many hours this weekend working on the doors, as well as reframing the doorway to fit the doors, in hopes that I might be able to finish by last night, but I just couldn’t do it. I’m almost sure I’ll be able to finish everything today, though.
The last time I showed you the doors closed in front of the doorway, they looked like this…
Clearly the doors weren’t quite fitting. So the first thing I worked on this weekend was getting the doorway reframed so that it’s a bit smaller, it’s perfectly centered on the wall, and the doors fit the opening.
You can see that I used the same trim design that I’m using on all of my other doorways in the house, but it’s configured just a bit differently. Instead of the trim extending only above the doorway, it extends the full length of the wall.
When I posted these mock ups a few days back, showing the trim only extending the width of the doorway opening…
…I had a few people leave comments telling me that’s not quite how it’s done with rolling/barn door style doors. 🙂
I’m so thankful that it was brought to my attention, because I honestly had never paid attention! But sure enough, I went to Houzz and looked up sliding barn doors, and on the ones that have trim around the doorway, the trim almost always extends the width of the barn door hardware and covers the top of the area where the door sits in when it’s open. Here’s one with trim that’s similar to mine…
That definitely looks so much better than what I had in those mock ups, so that’s what I did on my doors.
Of course, I don’t have the rolling door hardware back up yet, and I think it’ll make much more sense when it’s installed. I think it looks fantastic having the trim extend the full width of the wall when the doors are open. I’ll admit, I still think it looks a bit funny when the doors are closed, but the doors will probably never be closed during the day or when someone visits. I’ll mainly just be closing the doors at night when I’m closing everything up and heading to bed.
Reframing the doorway was kind of a pain. Since I narrowed the doorway, the new trim wasn’t wide enough to cover the space between the new door jamb and the edge of the old drywall, so I ended up having to remove some of the old drywall.
And then I added a new piece of drywall that extended all the way to the new door jamb.
Then I could add the new door facings. And I’ll be honest with you. I didn’t bother taping and mudding the seam where the new drywall meets the old drywall at the top. I placed that seam strategically so that it would be under the top moulding, and since I’m going to to be caulking all of the edges of that top moulding, I figured that would be sufficient. Or maybe I was just feeling lazy. (Have I mentioned how much I hate dealing with drywall?) 🙂
Anyway, it’s almost finished! The doors are primed and sanded, so they’re ready for paint today. Once they’re dry, I can add the glass and the trim on back and be finished with the doors. Then I need to do some wood filling, caulking, and priming on the doorway trim, and get that trim and wall all painted. And finally, I need to finish stripping the ugly black paint off of the black steel bar that I’m using for the rolling door hardware, and get those end pieces painted, and get everything reinstalled.
I’m so excited about how these doors are turning out! They’re completely different from my original idea for these doors, but I think this style is much more suited to my house.
And on a final note, I had a few people ask about how I filled the door knob holes that were in these doors. The door on the right had a big hole in it from a modern door knob. The door on the left had a much smaller hole in it from a vintage door knob.
For the large hole, I used a hole saw attachment on my drill, and cut out a circle of wood from one of the sections that I cut out of the middle of the door that matched in the thickness that I needed. Then I glued that circle of wood into the hole with wood glue. When the glue was dry, I filled in around the edges with a generous amount of wood filler on both sides of the door, let it dry thoroughly, and then used my electric sander to sand it smooth.
For the door on the left with the much smaller hole, I actually wadded up paper and stuffed it in the hole. Then I filled in with wood filler on top of that on both sides of the door. Once it was completely dry (which took about 24 hours) I used my electric sander to sand it perfectly smooth. I forgot to get a picture of that one after I sanded it and before I primed it.
Anyway, I’m hoping that these doors will actually be usable before I go to bed tonight!
And in other news, my replacement cabinet doors and drawer fronts were delivered on Saturday! I’m determined to get these rolling doors finished (since I don’t want to leave yet another unfinished project), and then I’ll turn my attention back to my kitchen. My goal is to get my kitchen finished by Sunday evening, and then spend next week at the condo getting it ready to sell. That’s the plan, at least. We’ll see how it goes.
My barn door-style French doors are finished! Here’s a peek at how they turned out…
You can see more pictures of the finished doors here…
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!