Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I shared this on my Facebook page yesterday, but for those of you who missed it, my fifth and final dining room window (the one to the left of the fireplace) was installed yesterday morning!
The other four were installed last Thursday, and since they finished up the fourth one at about 4:30pm on Thursday, they decided to wait until Friday to install the last window. We were expecting rain (tons and tons of rain), so Friday morning it was a race against the storm clouds. The guys arrived at 8:30am, and just as they arrived, it started sprinkling. They sat in their truck to see if it was going to let up or get heavier, and about 20 minutes later, the bottom fell out of the sky. And it rained almost non-stop for the next two-and-a-half days.
I was so disappointed, but there was nothing that could be done other than wait. But they’re finally done. ALL of them.
I’m so amazed at the difference new windows make in this room. Here’s a reminder of how they looked before, window A/C unit and all. 🙂
The room looks so much brighter now, and the new windows are so clear!
All weekend, I’ve been experiencing a feeling similar to the one you get when you go way too long without having your eyeglasses/contacts prescription updated. Your old prescription just doesn’t quite cut it anymore, and trees just start to look like blobs of green. Then you go and have your prescription updated, and get new eyeglasses or contacts. You walk out of the doctor’s office wearing your new prescription, and you’re amazed at what you see! You’re reminded that trees actually have individual leaves! Grass is actually made up of individual blades! And you can, once again, see all of it!
I’m telling you, these new windows feel very similar. Those old windows were so cloudy and filthy, impossible to open because most were painted shut, and they all had those awful blue tinted storm windows that had to be unscrewed and completely removed in order to clean the outside of the windows (which obviously I never did, because it would have been a whole lot of work for very little payoff). Nothing viewed from those windows looked clear, and the view from the one window was blocked even more with the A/C unit. But not any more!!
And I won’t even tell you now many times I’ve gone in there over the last few days and opened and closed (and open and closed, and opened and closed) all of the windows, just because I can. 😀
Anyway, I had hoped to get the first four windows trimmed out over the weekend, but to be quite honest, I didn’t feel like getting out in the bad weather. Now that the storm clouds have passed and should be gone for at least two more days, I hope to head to Home Depot today and get everything I need to get those finished up by the end of this week.
In other news, I’m still only about halfway done with the music room ceiling. I’ll share the rest of those details as soon as I have something to share. 🙂 But now that I’m nearing completion on the ceiling, that means I’m almost ready to start on my walls!! I’m so excited about starting on that project. I’ve been talking about it and planning it for so long now, so I’m ready to stop talking and start doing.
I asked my mom if she would take inspiration from the original wallpaper design, and make some changes for me. Here’s the original Schumacher Birds & Butterflies design:
I love the general design of that wallpaper, but I did want some changes made before I put the design on my walls. First, I don’t really like how so many of the leaves look scribbled rather than drawn. Also, a lot of the leaves look very thorny, and there’s something about that that seems cold and unwelcoming to me. (Is that just me being weird, or do you see that too?) I wanted the leaves to look less scribbled, less thorny, and I also wanted berries added to the design like my mom did on my niece’s wall. And finally, I wanted all of the butterflies removed. So here’s her revised version of the Schumacher design.
I love that so much more! But with the butterflies removed, that only left me with five birds in the design, and the original design had a total of 13 birds and butterflies, which gave it much more color.
So I set about adding more birds. I just copied and pasted from several other wallpaper designs, and the actual colors that I end up using may be different from the cut-and-paste version here, but this is pretty much the design that I’ll end up with on my walls. I also copied and pasted more repeats of the pattern so I can get a better idea of how the pattern repeats go together.
I’m so anxious to see exactly how long it’ll take me to hand draw/paint the design on the music room walls. In my mind, the branches won’t take long at all, but the birds…well, that may be a different story. 🙂
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!