Last Updated on October 12, 2012 by Kristi Linauer
I’ve deemed my floor cloth finished…for now. I ended up not putting a binding on the edges because I realized that any type of fabric on the edges (I was planning on using quilt binding) would make it difficult to sweep the floor cloth. Right now without the binding, I can sweep things right off of the floor cloth with ease. With the binding, I’m afraid that dirt and junk would get caught up underneath the fabric. Definitely not a good thing.
So here’s how it ended up looking…
I went with the majority on this one, and most of you said to keep it this size. I tend to agree. I think that proportion is important in decorating, but there are times when rules can be broken…like putting an extra large chandelier over a small breakfast table for dramatic impact, and putting a really big and colorful floor cloth in a tiny kitchen. I love it!
So now on to the question that many of you asked. “How did you do that?”
Here are the steps that I took to make my floor cloth.
First, I started with a remnant of vinyl flooring purchased from Home Depot.
I found this to be VERY frustrating. This primer never dried to a completely dry finish. I waited several days between priming and painting (not for any reason other than I was working on this when I had time between other projects), and even several days later, the primer still had a tacky feeling to it. Dirt, dust, animal fur…everything would get stuck to it. As I was trying to mark my lines for the stripes, my hands would stick to it, and the oils from my hands would leave marks on it. It was incredibly frustrating, but once the paint was on and dry, that tackiness went away. So if you experience the same thing, just know that it’ll all work out in the end. Mine did!
Once the primer was dry, I used my L-square and a pencil to mark off lines at random intervals for the stripes. I knew I wanted to start with the green-blue color, and I wanted about six stripes in that color. So using absolutely no rhyme or reason, I marked off six stripes of varying widths.
Using those lines, I applied painters tape to mark off the stripes. (See those dark blemishes? That’s where I put my knee or hand on the primer and it left those marks. Really irritating!!) The arrows point to the six stripes marked off with painters tape.
Then I painted those stripes, removed the painters tape, and let the paint dry. Once it was dry, I was ready to move on to the next color. I did each color the same way…marking completely random stripes of varying widths.
When everything was dry, I moved on to the next step…whitewashing.
I decided that the colors looked a bit harsh, so I mixed some white paint with water (about a 1:2 ratio, which had a very watery consistency), and mixed it well…
When the whitewash was completely dry, I sealed the floor cloth using three coats of non-yellowing lacquer.
And the finished floor cloth (I think). I’m not sure why, but I still feel like it needs some sort of border, and if it can’t be fabric (quilt binding), then perhaps paint. Hmmm…or maybe I should just leave it alone.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!