Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
My doors, drawer fronts, and corbels that got rained on ended up being a complete loss. They warped, cracked, and the inset panels all swelled around the edges. You can see what I mean on this cabinet door.
See how the inset panel has that swollen area all around the perimeter? You can see it even more on this smaller door.
Every panel on every single door and drawer front was like that. It was so discouraging, because once plywood swells from water in an area like that, it’s virtually impossible to get it smooth again. Sanding it enough to get it smooth again usually results in sanding off the first layer and revealing the layer underneath.
And even if I could have gotten it smooth, that wasn’t the only problem. The doors and drawer fronts also had cracks all over, like this one.
Which made the frame shift along the crack so that it was no longer even. No amount of wood filler and sanding could hide something like that.
Plus, everything was warped, including the corbels. Not even one of the corbels could be salvaged since none of them were 90-degree angles anymore.
And about six of the ten corbels cracked and swelled in random places.
The one silver lining in this whole thing is the corbels. When I went to Home Depot the first time to buy corbels, I just grabbed the ones I liked the most, without giving any thought whatsoever to which ones would actually work best with my particular kitchen design. So I bought the ones above, since I liked them the best.
When I went back to get the replacements, I grabbed the same corbels, but they didn’t have enough. I didn’t want to drive across town to the other Home Depot, so I took a look at the others they had available to see if any of them would work. I found one that would work, although I didn’t like it as much as the original one. But when I got them home, I realized that these new corbels were perfect for my kitchen!
Not only were they larger and more substantial, but the trim around the edges looked like it was just made to go with my kitchen.
But the most amazing thing of all is how well they went with the furniture feet that I made for my cabinets. I mean, I couldn’t have matched these any better if I had made the corbels from scratch myself (which I was originally planning to do, but changed my mind). Just take a look at this (upside down) decorative foot and the corbel next to each other. It looks like I took the scrap part that I cut away from the foot, enlarged it, flipped it upside down, and made a corbel from it.
Is that not amazing?! Especially considering that when I made those feet, I wasn’t looking at anything as inspiration (like a picture of a corbel from Home Depot) as I drew the freehand design. I just took a piece of wood and drew a random design and tweaked it until I liked it.
If I didn’t know for sure that that was pure coincidence, I would probably find it very hard to believe. But it really was pure coincidence.
Anyway, I have new corbels, and they’re all installed and painted. I ordered new cabinet doors and drawer fronts, and I have no idea when they’ll be here, so I’ll just be patient and wait. To find the replacement doors, all I did is Google “replacement cabinet doors” and I found several online stores that offered cabinet doors and drawer fronts. I just searched through several of the stores until I found one that carried a style that matched my doors, and I placed my order.
In all, this ridiculously stupid lapse of common sense mistake ended up costing me about $325. That’s so discouraging considering that an amount of money like that could have really made a huge dent in my plans for my hallway. Oh well. That’s life. 🙁
And on top of all of that, Pottery Barn keeps changing the delivery date on my cabinet hardware. I’ve waited over a month, and each time I check the order lately, the estimated delivery date is pushed back again.
So I totally feel like my kitchen remodel is stalled right now. So frustrating. In the meantime, I’ve taken my mind off of my kitchen by doing a simple project. I’m painting my front door. It’s black. And beautiful. And needs one more coat of paint before it’s done.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!