Well, everything else looks like a complete mess — the torn up ceilings, unfinished walls, unframed opening to the hallway, filthy floors that I didn’t have time to mop, the dining table that’s still sitting in the music room — but at least my pony walls and columns are finished! You’ll just have to use your imagination for everything around it. 🙂
If you missed the previous posts on this project, you can find them here:
So here’s the new view from my front door!
This was the view from the front door when we bought the house.
It came out exactly as I had envisioned in my mind. That’s always exciting when that happens! The new pony walls and columns “frame” my rolling doors just as I had imagined. I think those doors look more special standing alone as one pair than they would have if I had made a second pair.
But most importantly, I love that they give separation and definition between the rooms without the music room feeling too closed off and isolated.
The trim on the columns made all the difference in the world. And again, I just used 1 x 4 MDF boards as the base trim. On top I added base cap moulding, and around the base on the pony wall I used something called panel moulding.
I used the same panel moulding around the top of the pony wall, but I turned it the other way (upside down, I guess you’d say).
And then to trim out the front and back of the pony walls, I used 1 x 4 MDF boards to form a frame, and then used base cap moulding around the inside of that frame. The only new thing I added since my last post was the baseboards. I just used a standard baseboard from Home Depot, and added a base cap moulding to the top to make it taller.
All of that trim makes such a huge difference in the finished project. It’s what makes the project.
I added the same trim along the tops of the columns as well. And the top trim around the cased opening is made of 1 x 6 MDF boards and 1 x 2 MDF boards.
With the trim that I used on the ends of the pony walls and on the jambs of the cased openings (1 x 6 MDF boards), this wall/opening ended up being the exact same thickness as the other cased openings that I’ve done in the house, which is exactly what I wanted for consistency.
Here’s the view looking the other direction. The front door isn’t centered like the rolling doors are, but that’s okay. I can live with it since this isn’t the initial view when someone walks into the house. And please ignore the wall. Don’t ask. Long story.
And of course, I had to add this picture. 🙂
This project ended up taking me two days longer than I had anticipated. I always tend to forget just how long all of that trimming out, wood filling, sanding, caulking and painting take. The basic build didn’t take that long comparatively, but the trimming and finishing always take way longer than I think it will. But again, that’s the most important part!
After everything was sanded, I primed with Zinsser oil-based Cover Stain. It’s my absolute favorite primer because it hides everything, and once it’s thoroughly dry, it sands beautifully.
And then I painted the whole thing with a brush in the same trim color I’m using throughout the house — Behr’s Polar Bear, which is a slightly warm white. It took one coat of primer and two coats of paint to finish. I did add paint conditioner (Floetrol) to the paint to minimize brush strokes.
And that’s it! I’m so excited that I can cross this project off of the list. And this was one of the big ones for this year, so it feels so good to have it done already.
Now I just need to get all of the mess around it taken care of. 🙂
Here’s a quick update on the drywall. I’ve decided to do it myself, and my brother and sister have volunteered to help me. We would have gotten started this week except that we have squirrels living in our attic. *Sigh*
We had already scheduled the animal trapper person to come out and do his inspection and set out cameras at the end of last week, and then come back this week to set out traps to catch the little critters. He’s scheduled to come set the traps today. So if we start pulling drywall off of the ceiling right now, we’ll totally interfere with the animal trapper’s process, as the squirrels will just go away during all of the commotion, and come right back when things quiet down. I need for them to be trapped and taken far away so that can’t find my house again. Then I need for the holes and entries repaired and patched so no new squirrels can enter. And then we can take care of the ceiling.
So right now, I’m just waiting, trying to be patient, and living with a terribly ugly ceiling. This too shall pass. 🙂
I’ve had a couple of requests for some labeled pictures to help people understand the different types of moulding I used in this project. Hopefully this will help!
The MDF boards come in 8- and 10-foot lengths, and are generally located with the lumber. Just look for the white boards, as they’re pre-primed. They won’t actually say 1″ x 4″ or 1″ x 6″ on the label, because even though the sizes are comparable to real lumber, for some reason they’re labeled according to their actual sizes. So it might real 11/16″ x 5.5″ instead of 1″ x 6″.
The base cap moulding will be found with all of the other moulding and trim, and it is sold by the linear foot. You can click here to see the exact one I used.
The panel moulding is also found with the moulding and trim, and is also sold by the linear foot. This is the one I used. Some panel moulding has a rabbet on the back. Please note that this one is flat on the back.
I can’t find the baseboard that I used on the Home Depot website, but it’s just standard baseboard moulding, sold by the linear foot, and found in the moulding and trim section of the store.
Hope that helps to clarify things!! 🙂