Last Updated on January 7, 2012 by Kristi Linauer
Did you think I was going to flake out on you again? Well, I’m not. I actually have the pictures today!
So let’s get right to it. I’ve been working on John & Alice’s family room for what seems like forever, and there were about a thousand DIY projects that went into this room (that might be a slight exaggeration, but you can see all of the related DIY projects at the end of this post). So are you ready to see how it turned out? Well, here it is…
Now let me remind you how this family room started out…
That wood paneled wall with the orangish stain definitely screamed “1980s”, as did the shirred cornice that stretched across the top of all four windows. Every piece of furniture in the room was leather.
The breakfast area wall was covered in white and green checked wallpaper, which continued into the kitchen. The brass light fixture needed to be upgraded, as did the little table and chair set.
The fireplace was a multi-colored brick, with a brass screen and orange oak mantel that matched the paneled wall and the kitchen cabinets.
It was definitely time for some updating! And hopefully I did just that.
The oak paneled wall was painted and covered in a pretty chenille fabric, then “framed” in a pewter colored grosgrain ribbon. All of the leather furniture, except for the sofa, was moved out of the room and replaced with two pairs of upholstered chairs.
The fireplace was given a coat of light gray paint, and the busy crown moulding/corbel mantel was replaced with a very simple rough hewn-looking mantel. The brass fireplace screen was given a couple of coats of black paint (Rustoleum high heat paint).
Remember last week I told you that I had to remake the breakfast table…again!? I made it once, and stained it, and hated it. Then I whitewashed it, and didn’t love it but thought it was fine. So I moved it into the room, and then it cracked!! The crack started at a knot, and went clear across the table.
So I had to remake the table again. I’m actually glad, because I love how it turned out. And you’ll notice that I ended up making it square instead of round…
Well, I’ll just hush now and let you look around. If you’ve been following this room transformation, you know there are about a thousand DIY projects (that’s possibly a slight exaggeration) that went into this room. Most of them can be found over on the DIY Projects page.
Oh, I’m sure I could go on and on. We took so many pictures!! But that’s probably enough, right?
But I’ll leave you with a few “quick view” before and after photos of various angles. Just move your pointer on and off of the pictures below to see them change from the “before” view to the “after” view.
I hope you enjoyed the tour of the finished family room! I had a lot of fun on this room, but I’m sooooo glad it’s finished. I was beginning to think it would never end!
DIY Projects That Went Into This Room:
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!