While my father-in-law was finishing up in the garage yesterday, I decided to get started on the dining room. The ceiling has had new drywall since his last visit in April, and my plan with the walls all along was to keep the existing drywall, but scrape off that really thick layer of whatever was on top of the drywall (I think it’s just many layers of paint, with at least one layer of wallpaper sandwiched in there somewhere, and at least one layer of really thick texture) and then skim coat and sand the drywall so that I would be left with smooth walls.
That really thick layer scraped off very easily, and I had three of the walls finished in a relatively short time.
And no, the pet station isn’t staying. 🙂 I need to get it listed on Craigslist and get it out of the way.
Anyway, with the walls scraped, the plan was to just do a little repair in some places, and then start skim coating. The problem came when I tried to add new nails in some places where the drywall had pulled away from the wall just a bit, and each time I tried to put a new nail in, the drywall just crumbled. And then I found that the area underneath the window with the A/C unit was a complete mess. The whole thing was crumbly and gross, presumably from at least one leak from that A/C unit over the years. I finally decided that patching and keeping this drywall wasn’t an option, so down it came.
And I found a few surprises along the way, like this row of tiny little eggs, which I’m almost certain are lizard eggs. It looks like a couple didn’t quite make it.
So by the time I went to bed last night, I had most of the drywall down on three walls. I thought I had gotten all of this area finished, but evidently I got sidetracked talking to my father-in-law in the garage and forgot that I hadn’t finished the job. 🙂
But I did make quite a bit of progress…
I still need to finish the small area to the right of the front door, and then I need to move the buffet out and cover it so that I can do the entryway wall.
So, see? Progress is being made in here! Although right now, it feels like I’m going in the wrong direction. 🙂 I’m hoping that by the end of this weekend, we’ll at least have the drywall up in the dining room and entryway, and have it partially (if not completely) taped, mudded, and sanded. I’d LOVE to have my new chandelier hanging by the time my father-in-law leaves next Friday. Those decorative things are what keep me going through all of this mundane work. And drywall is the absolute worst, in my book.
The awesome thing about this old house is that the studs are all covered in shiplap, which will make drywalling go much faster since we can just attach the drywall anywhere without having to worry about it lining up with studs. So I don’t anticipate that drywalling the walls in this room will take long at all. Shiplap is also great because I never have to use wall anchors or search for studs to hang things on my walls. I love shiplap! But I do prefer mine covered up with drywall, and not painted white as a design feature. 😀
So this room will hopefully be nearing completion by the end of this weekend, and then we’ll still need to repeat this whole process in the music room. 🙂 Fun times! And the music room will also include reframing the opening into the hallway. I want to widen that quite a bit so that Matt has an easier time getting through.
In other news, we’re supposed to close on the condo next week. Finally! And in anticipation of that, I’ve scheduled an appointment with an HVAC person to come and give me a quote next Tuesday. We already got one quote from another company, and I’ll probably call at least one more. I will be jumping for joy the day we can finally pull all of these window unit air conditioners out of our house!! Although I might keep one for my garage workshop. That would be really nice to have in there during the hot Texas summer months.