For a while now, something has been bothering me about the stenciled walls in my music room. I love the design, so don’t worry. I’m not about to paint over them and start over. But the design just seemed a bit…flat. So after trying several ideas to enhance the design, I found the answer…a chisel edge Sharpie marker. I used the Sharpie to outline parts of the design, and it just made it come to life. Not only did it add some depth and interest to the design, but it also looks fantastic with my black doors.
Sadly, the impact of the detail gets a little lost on small pictures (the impact on the full sized, in-person view is quite amazing, in my humble opinion), but I’m going to try to show you anyway.
Here’s how the stencil looked before with just the two colors (Behr Polar Bear and Benjamin Moore Classic Gray).
And here’s how it looks with a little black added…
I know some of you will much prefer the subtle look of the original stencil, but subtle really isn’t my thing. 🙂 The black just sets off the design perfectly in my eye.
Here’s a small section by the bookcase where you can see the black detail compared to the “before” stencil…
And here’s another section by the light switch…
Do you see how it adds not only some black (and every room needs a bit of black, right?), but also gives the design some dimension and depth? I wasn’t necessarily going for a “shadow” look. I just wanted to outline some areas to give it depth, so I outlined the top and the left parts of the white design. I kept repeating that over and over in my mind as I worked so that I wouldn’t get confused. “The top and the left of the white. The top and the left of the white.” 😀
And here’s the middle three rows finished. If you click on this picture, you can see a larger image with more detail…
When I texted my mom a picture of it to get her opinion, she said, “I love it! It’s gonna be a lot of work though.”
I figured it would take many, many hours…days, even…to get it finished, so for the first two days, I would just do a few minutes at a time. Each time I walked through the music room, I’d pick up a Sharpie and work on the wall for just a few minutes. I figured if I chipped away at it five minutes at a time, then in a couple of weeks I might have it done.
Then last night after dinner, I decided that I just wanted to go in there and work on that one wall until it was finished. I had three-and-a-half rows to go, and I was expecting it to take quite a while.
Those three-and-a-half rows took me 38 minutes. That’s it. That means that entire wall would have taken about 95 minutes. That’s not even the length of an average movie.
So one wall is done, and I have another wall plus some small bits around the cased openings to go. It’s one of those little things that has a big impact on a room. Here’s another pic that you can click on to get a larger view…
And finally, here’s a picture I took this morning with the early morning sunlight. You can see how awesome the stencil now looks with the black doors. You can click on this picture to see a large image.
On another note, thank you all so much for all of your input on my fireplace yesterday! I’ve only gotten through just over half of the 400-ish comments, but as I’ve been reading them, a plan has been developing in my mind.
I don’t think I’ll be going with the most popular suggestion (a lighter gray with purplish undertones). Instead, I think I’ll try out another idea (or maybe a hybrid of ideas) that some of you gave me that involve more than one color. And if that doesn’t work…well, it’s just paint. 🙂 I’ll keep trying other suggestions until I land on something I really like.
You can see from the picture above that I already took one suggestion that many of you had to remove the sunburst mirror and replace it with something colorful. I’m not sure if I’ll use it over the piano, but I do already have an idea for a piece of colorful artwork that I want to put over the mantel, inspired by one of my favorite artists I follow on Instagram. But more on all of that later.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.