Re-reupholstered Dining Chairs


 
Well, I’ve reupholstered my dining chairs…again.  This time I used two fabrics — a striped fabric and white duck cloth, both of which I used on these easy-to-make three-fabric pillows.


 
I didn’t use the linen on the chairs because that linen is pretty thin, and linen used for upholstery really needs to be either upholstery-weight linen, or it needs to be backed with another fabric to make it upholstery weight.  So, to keep things simple, I decided to just stick with the striped fabric and the duck cloth.

And now, I’m happy to say that the last piece of my breakfast room puzzle is finished!!  I’ll be showing you the finished room tomorrow!

It’s not that I didn’t like the last upholstery on the chairs.  I did.  But just like my painted chevron table, the yellow seats with the navy blue welt cord and buttons just weren’t right for the room.


 
And once I refinished my chevron dining table, I knew exactly what I needed to do with the chairs.  Now, they make more sense in the room.


 
These were so easy to do.  Both chairs took me about an hour, and that was just because I had to iron all of the pre-washed fabric, which took a while.


 
But I just sewed the three pieces of fabric together, with the striped fabric in the middle (obviously), and ironed the seams really well so that they were perfectly flat.  Then I used the absolute easiest wrap-and-staple method for dining chairs.  I didn’t even do a tutorial because you’ll have about a thousand of them at your fingertips in seconds with a Google search.


 
My little dining chairs have been through quite the metamorphosis.  When I bought them at ReStore, they were dingy and dirty, but they were sturdy, had a great shape, and were only $5 each.  Then I reupholstered them in orange.  Yuck.  And I didn’t cut down the seats, so they just looked frumpy.  Yuck again.  The next stop was the yellow with the welt cord and buttons.  I liked the look, but it just wasn’t right in my breakfast room.  So now, they’re just right.


 
And with that, my breakfast room is finished.  I’ll show you how it turned out tomorrow!


 
This project was for my condo breakfast room makeover. Click here to see the whole before and after of the breakfast room makeover.

Or click on the thumbnails below to see other DIY projects that I did for my condo breakfast room makeover.

SUBSCRIBE HERE!
Enter your name and email below to receive:

New posts delivered to your inbox * Giveaways exclusive to subscribers
Exclusive behind-the-scenes videos * Additional DIY tips
The occasional DIY project, just for subscribers
A plate of warm, freshly baked cookies

(Okay, probably not that last one.)  :)

Comments

  1. Monica Benson says

    It’s nice to know that it takes other people three tries to “get it right” too. Sometimes you just don’t know how a certain style will work until you do it. Trial and error can be a rewarding, although exasperating, way to get it right. You are very talented and I’m always thankful for your eloquent descriptions. Thanks for all the enjoyment and ideas.

  2. Sue says

    I did like the yellow seat cover but understand why you went with the stripe. That looks very nice and will look great with the completed dining area. Can’t wait to see your ‘ta da’ final photos tomorrow!

  3. says

    I like the the buttoned look, too, but I understand where you’re going. I’m inspired by how you combine fabrics, because sometimes I have fabric scraps that I can’t bear to throw away, yet they are too small for most projects. Looking forward to the new breakfast room/office reveal!

  4. fan says

    I am amazed at your productivity and the ideas and projects that you just keep churning out.
    Thanks for sharing your creativity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

«
»