Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I don’t have a whole lot of progress to share (mostly because I’m the slowest drywaller in the world!), but I didn’t want to break for the weekend without sharing the progress I’ve made on the bathroom. As I said, it’s not much.
I got the wiring and junction boxes in place for the vanity sconces, and then I got the vanity/toilet wall drywalled.
And then finally, I got the window removed, and added a 2 x 4 in that space so I’d have something to screw the drywall to. I’ll be sad to lose that natural light that comes in from the sunroom, but I’ll eventually add a solar tube in the bathroom to have natural light once again. That’ll have to wait, though, because I’m running low on money this month for this project, so it’s not in the budget right now. Maybe next month.
My least favorite thing about drywalling — even worse than taping and mudding — is using the Roto Zip to cut holes for pipes and junction boxes. Y’all, I STINK at using that stupid tool! I don’t know why I have such a hard time with it, but when I turn it on and put it into the drywall, it just seems to take on a life of its own. I just can’t seem to get the hang of it.
I did a little better on the boxes for the sconces, with just a little blip at the top, but that was after I measured wrong and started cutting in the wrong place! *Sigh* I guess I’m just never meant to have perfectly nice drywall. 😀
And this one…well…I don’t even know what happened here. That stupid Roto Zip is just my least favorite tool ever.
But at least drywall can be patched fairly easily, so it’ll all work out in the end.
I kind of had a hard time making a decision on the vanity. If you’ll remember, at one time I said I was going to use a spindly-legged table that my mom gave me.
But if Matt is going to be using this bathroom in the future, I really need something that will be solid and secure for Matt to use to steady himself and help him get up and down. That table wasn’t solid enough for Matt to put weight on.
Then I thought about using the credenza that I refinished a while back.
The reason I bought that credenza in the first place was in the hope that I could use it as a vanity in that bathroom. With the door in its original position, the credenza was way too big and stuck out too far past the door. With it in its new position, it will fit. But now that it’s refinished and has those striped drawers, I think it would be too busy for such a small room. Plus, it just really doesn’t go well with the other design choices (like the mosaic tile) that I’ve already chosen and purchased. I’d rather have the tile than the credenza vanity.
So I finally decided to just go with stock cabinets…again. These are the same ones I used in my kitchen.
Stock cabinets are really intended for kitchens and utility rooms and such. Once you add the countertop, they’re about 36 inches tall and 25 inches deep. Bathroom vanities are traditionally about 32 to 33 inches tall, and about 22 inches deep. But after doing a bit of research, I’ve learned that 36-inch cabinets are becoming the new standard height for bathrooms used by adults, and 32 inch cabinets are still the standard for use in children’s bathrooms or bathrooms shared by adults and children. So I’m not concerned about the height at all.
However, the depth won’t work. They come too close to the door, and take up way too much space in this small bathroom. So I’ll be using my circular saw to cut about six inches off of the backs of these cabinets so that they are a better fit for this bathroom.
And of course, I’ll customize them somehow so that they look a little less like stock cabinets.
And then behind the door, where the linen closet used to be, I plan to use one more base cabinet.
Then I’ll add open shelf storage above that. And the main reason I wanted an outlet back there is because, instead of a nightlight in this bathroom, I’d like to find a pretty little lamp to set on this countertop that will act as a nightlight.
So that’s the progress and the plans so far. I’m really hoping to stay focused and get a ton of work done in here this weekend. I’d love to have the rest of the drywall finished, the concrete board installed and waterproofed, and the cabinets tweaked and installed by the end of the weekend. We’ll see on Monday how close I get to that goal. 🙂
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!