*This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve been hard at work trying to get all of the trim finished in my guest bedroom. As soon as the trim is done, I can finish the floor, and then get to the fun stuff! So I’m anxious to get the trim done, but I wanted it done right, so I didn’t want to just quickly throw up some trim just so I could call it done.
Most of the trim is pretty straightforward — baseboards, base cap, window casing, etc. But I originally had no idea how I was going to handle the bottom of the closets.
When I built the closets, I debated between making the doors sliding doors or regular swing doors. I finally decided on sliding doors. If you missed how I built those, you can see the details here:
Those sliding doors required metal tracks at the bottom to keep the doors in place. You can see then metal track on the bottom of this door…
Obviously, that bottom area needed to be trimmed out, but I had no idea just how to go about it. So after thinking about it and trying out some different ideas, let me show you what I finally came up with.
First, I added two pieces of 1″ x 5″ lumber at the bottom, plus a 1/4″ spacer behind both pieces, to bring that front piece out past the metal track. And then I attached the metal track right to the top of the lumber and the front of the closet using DAP Rapid Fuse and slow dry hot glue.
And then I continued the 1″ x 5″ around the room as the baseboard. So here’s how the door looked in the track at that point…
And then to hide the front of the track, I added a base cap on top of the baseboard. I attached that with DAP Rapid Fuse and hot glue as well. And then I continued the base cap around the room. On the side of the cabinet, I just left the space for the door to slide…
Once it’s all caulked and painted white, and the raw cut edges of the trim aren’t drawing attention, I think it’ll look great!
One issue that I did run into is that the addition of the base cap made the bottom trim on the doors too close to the bottom.
So unfortunately, I had to remove the trim and do a little patchwork with some wood filler. I’ll reinstall the trim so that it’s evenly spaced.
That was a frustrating step backwards, but it’s not a big deal. That’s what happens sometimes when I decide on details as I go along. 😀
Anyway, I’m very pleased with how the track is now hidden behind some pretty trim.
So in addition to getting that figured out and getting the baseboards and base cap installed on three of the four walls, I also got the window trimmed out…
I you’d like details on how I trim out all of my windows and doors, you can find that info here…
And I finally got my door installed.
That is a pocket door, and back when we had all of this construction done, I had the guys use some much nicer pocket door frames instead of using the cheap, ready-made ones that you can buy at any big box home improvement store. So I purchased these Johnson Hardware 1500 Soft Close Series pocket door frames.
I’m so glad I did! These frames are amazing, and the better quality is unmistakable. I wish I could go back and use these on the studio bathroom and storage closet, but unfortunately, it’s too late for that. I’ll definitely use these on any pocket doors going forward, though. No more cheap pocket door frames for me!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!