Last Updated on December 24, 2015 by Kristi Linauer
I’m one day away from my sister Cathy and brother-in-law Bill coming to do my electrical work in the kitchen, and as of yesterday, I still had one last remaining original cabinet up in the kitchen. It was the big 10-foot section of upper cabinets that were above the original sink.
I needed those gone so that I could mark where the new wiring needs to go. So yesterday after lunch, I went into the kitchen to see about removing them.
After about an hour of tugging and prying every which way imaginable, the cabinets still weren’t budging. Not even the tiniest bit. So unfortunately, I came to the realization that these were going to have to be dismantled to remove them.
So for the next hour, I worked and worked in dismantling the cabinet. I tried my hardest to do it in a way that would allow them to be put back together, but that wasn’t working either. Let’s just say that whoever built and installed these upper cabinets never intended for them to be removed or uninstalled.
I finally realized that all out demolition was the only way to go with these cabinets. That was disappointing, because I had hoped to get them all off in one piece, or at least two or three usable pieces, so that I could reuse them in my garage along with the other cabinets I removed, but it just wasn’t going to happen.
So I headed to Home Depot to get a new tool — a reciprocating saw. I didn’t have that thing out of the box more than five minutes before the blade looked like this…
I finally got the hang if it, and went to town on those cabinets. I know it’s sad that they had to be demolished, but I must admit that the demolition was quite fun. (And at least I was able to salvage the other three big sections of cabinets for my garage.)
I got everything off except for the very outer “shell” of the cabinet, and then I ran into trouble. Again, no matter how much I pried and pulled, the thing just wouldn’t budge.
I finally decided that good ‘ole persistence was going to be the only way to get this thing off, so I grabbed onto the lower edge of the cabinet on the left side, and just started pulling and pushing, pulling and pushing, pulling and pushing.
After about 15 minutes, I could see that the cabinet had moved down from the ceiling about 1/2-inch. So I pressed on.
It took a very long time, but the nails holding the cabinet finally started to give way, and the cabinet started to fall very slowly. Then it sped up. And then it sped up even more.
As the long 10-foot section of cabinet shell started falling, one of the wire nuts on the wire in the center got caught on the hole in the top of the cabinet…
And it started pulling the wire out of the ceiling, slowing the fall of the cabinet…
When I realized what was happening, I ran over to the middle and caught the cabinet so that it wouldn’t destroy any more of the ceiling. Then I stood there holding the cabinet and wondering what the heck I was going to do. I almost yelled to Matt to call my brother Rod and have him come over and help me, but I realized very quickly that even if Rod could get in the car immediately and head over, there was no way that my tired arms could hold that cabinet (which was still quite heavy and very bulky) while he made the 15-minute drive to my house.
So I decided that I was on my own, and I had to figure this out. I finally realized that if I let the cabinet fall to the floor on one side, I could get it propped up against the end wall on the other side so that the wire in the middle would still be held at the right height so that it wouldn’t pull through the ceiling any more. It took a few minutes for me to wrestle the cabinet into place, but it finally worked and I was able to let go of it completely and give my arms a rest (and take a picture, of course). 😀
Then I was able to get the wire and wire nut free from the hole in the cabinet, and then get to work cutting up the rest of the cabinet so that it could be removed.
And finally, the whole cabinet was gone.
Removing the last remaining pieces of drywall was the easy part…
It’s far from pretty at this point, but at least I’m one (rather large) step closer to realizing my vision for this wall.
I’m so excited about this weekend. It’ll be so nice to have lights in the kitchen and breakfast room again! I’ve been living without lights in this end of the house ever since a month ago when I removed the wall separating the kitchen and breakfast room, along with the wires that were powering my lights in these two rooms. 🙂
After taking a break from my kitchen and breakfast room for a couple of weeks, this progress feels good.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you’ll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you’ll never miss a thing!